Average resident pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Radiology residents, what's the average pay? What can i except to get during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by region. I think most interns will make between 42k and 56ish, depending on cost of living. Some hospitals will bump up salary from the minimum as well. You will also usually get a raise every year of like 800-1200 dollars a year.

Moonlighting has the potential of doubling pgy3-5 salaries but not all programs allow it.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies by region. I think most interns will make between 42k and 56ish, depending on cost of living. Some hospitals will bump up salary from the minimum as well. You will also usually get a raise every year of like 800-1200 dollars a year.

wow..that's quite tiny :laugh:

A Google search would show you all of the answers to all of the superficial questions you could ever want to know about.

A Google search would show you all of the answers to all of the superficial questions you could ever want to know about.
how is this by any chance superficial :rolleyes:

Jumoke,

The compensation for radiology residents is the same as any other resident in each hospital system and should be openly listed on the programs website. It will increase with each post graduate year. As was mentioned above, some programs allow residents to moonlight which can significantly increase your salary.

Survivor DO

I take a pay cut after intern year. Most of the places were in the 48k starting and would increase 2ish k per year. Big cities paid more. As mentioned, the variability was in moonlighting and other random perks. Some places pay more but the health insurance isn't as good, etc.

It's superficial because it's easily found. I'm not criticizing, just saying that a quick search would find your results.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Radiology+resident+salary

4th one down shows you a general idea of what your salary might be like if you were starting residency this year.

When i google the salary for my current position. It comes up with like 75k. But i get at least twice of that. Google isn't always the answer.

tco and i like that Umass actually publishes these salary.

It is surprisingly low?! wow. I'd think they'd pay residents like 80k!!!

I take a pay cut after intern year. Most of the places were in the 48k starting and would increase 2ish k per year. Big cities paid more. As mentioned, the variability was in moonlighting and other random perks. Some places pay more but the health insurance isn't as good, etc.

Are most residents able to moonlight? Considering the amount of hours i hear residents putting in?

Getting paid anything less than 60k while working at least 12hours a day (no?) is lower than minimum wage - that's slavery!!

Are most residents able to moonlight? Considering the amount of hours i hear residents putting in?

Getting paid anything less than 60k while working at least 12hours a day (no?) is lower than minimum wage - that's slavery!!

If you want to count every penny that you earn for every hour that you work from now on, you'd better quit now and go to some other field.

I have not seen anybody who is so obsessed with the salary as a resident.

If you think it is slavery, don't do it. Period.

tco and i like that Umass actually publishes these salary.

It is surprisingly low?! wow. I'd think they'd pay residents like 80k!!!

Hey, I'm in the UMass area!
And I don't think $56k is a low amount.

When i google the salary for my current position. It comes up with like 75k. But i get at least twice of that. Google isn't always the answer.

There's a good chance that your job isn't centrally funded the way that the overwhelming majority of residencies are funded by Medicare. That's why there's very little variation in salary across specialties and regions. It's also why a random internet such has a high likelihood of being accurate.

You should check out FREIDA through your university library (if your university is associated with a medical school). http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.page

It provides salary information for different residency programs around the country. It also usually lets you know if certain programs allow moonlighting or not.

Radiology certainly works hard but you are also not that useful for a while. The places I interviewed has variable working hours but it seemed most rotations people were out by 5 or 6 because they are expected to read.