Avian/Exotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

StayingHopeful

UC Davis Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I currently work for an Avian/Exotics vet and I definitely want to go into the field. I was wondering how to find out what schools are known for this specialty. I tried doing research online but I got different lists, so I was wondering if any students going through this or any vet students who have gone through it have any input -- THANKS!! 😀
 
Tufts is very good-- I know a fantastic avian/exotics vet who graduated from there. They also have a great wildlife clinic and strong program in that field.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Florida definatly is. But I would suggest going to each schools website and that will definatly give you a better idea.
 
I visited Tennessee's vet school a few months ago, and they've actually expanded their teaching hospital to better suit exotics patients. They've got a good program there, and they're tight with the Knoxville Zoo.

I haven't visited Florida, but I know that they have a really great program for exotics in general. There are SO MANY zoos and aquariums and wildlife reserves with parrot-based aviaries in Florida that you'd have TONS of opportunities to do student internships and externships with any species you can imagine. And there's also a multitude of very good exotic animal veterinary practices in Florida where you could work over the summer if you wanted to.

If you only apply to one school, I would advise that it be Florida. Good luck!