AVMA Reports Excess Veterinarians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JosephKnechtDVM

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/x130601.aspx

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design. "

Friedrich von Hayek

As you can see future and current veterinary students, the "geniuses" :eyebrow: of the AVMA, the AAVMC and veterinary school are economic ignorami who have lead the profession to this dire state after almost three decades of failing to face the reality of multiple studies calling for a slowdown, stabilization and innovation in how the veterinary profession can deliver its knowledge and services.

Joseph Knecht DVM
 
It's not the data that makes me so glum, it's how they're trying to spin it. Yeah, it's a mess. No, saying "it's not really a mess if you look at it through squinty eyes" doesn't improve the situation. :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heard through our scavma reps that major overhauls to the "executive" system are in the works. Probably wont happen for a while but it's something to look forward to. They're still justifying accrediting more schools with the whole shortage of large animal and lab animal vets thing, which is just frustrating. I wish I knew how to help change this 😡
 
“The estimate’s not really saying that there are 11,250 veterinarians who can’t find work. What it is saying is that a majority of private practitioners can't find enough work.”

There, fixed it for them.

"Just over half perceived their practices were not working at full capacity."

:lame:

Doesn't change my course, just adds a few speed bumps if/when I get that far.
 
As you can see future and current veterinary students, the "geniuses" :eyebrow: of the AVMA, the AAVMC and veterinary school are economic ignorami who have lead the profession to this dire state after almost three decades of failing to face the reality of multiple studies calling for a slowdown, stabilization and innovation in how the veterinary profession can deliver its knowledge and services.

Joseph Knecht DVM

Sure am glad they fixed that little requirement to have a teaching hospital so that now they have to accredit everybody and their neighbor who wants to open a school!
 
"Teaching Hospital" is code for specialty/research/specialist training hospital. Up until the 1980s, the average veterinary student got so much more hands on and realistic training in clinics and labs than anyone today who must stand in line behind the intern, the resident and the specialist professors. They even taught simple orthopedics to students in labs back then not just the "theory" of surgery and medicine as part of the ONE HEALTH paradigm.
 
"One of the best opportunities for all veterinarians is to focus on increasing the demand for veterinary services by educating consumers of those services about the true importance and value of veterinary care"

Somehow that doesn't sound like it's gonna work.
 
“One of the best opportunities for all veterinarians is to focus on increasing the demand for veterinary services by educating consumers of those services about the true importance and value of veterinary care"

Somehow that doesn't sound like it's gonna work.

I don't think I agree with you entirely. The task will fall on us (once we are veterinarians) to provide essential medical advice to our clients. My impression is that there is a fine line between giving advice and marketing a service, and as I doctor I would want to be cognizant of the fact that as I advise a client, I keep their pet's best interest in mind while encouraging them to take advantage of medical advances.

My hope is to not be an alarmist doctor, but rather an informative source offering proactive solutions.
 
True, I don't mean there is no hope in marketing one's services to increase their value in the eyes of the consumer. I just meant as a solution to the entire crisis of the industry... a lot of other things are going to have to change in my opinion.
 
I am so fed up with AVMA.

Some sentinels of the industry you are. How many entities have spent the past decade at the very least telling you things aren't looking good?

And the best you can do for us now is tell us no, no, we're not unemployed, we're underemployed.

Because that makes my quarter million dollar degree feel so. Much. Better.
 
I am so fed up with AVMA.

Some sentinels of the industry you are. How many entities have spent the past decade at the very least telling you things aren't looking good?

And the best you can do for us now is tell us no, no, we're not unemployed, we're underemployed.

Because that makes my quarter million dollar degree feel so. Much. Better.

And don't forget that their proposed "solutions" don't target the real problems: too many vets schools and too many of them increasing their OOS seats. Sure, encouraging clients to invest more in their animals may help the demand a *bit*, but it doesn't change that we're flooding the market with newly minted but unneeded vets every year.
 
I am so fed up with AVMA.

Some sentinels of the industry you are. How many entities have spent the past decade at the very least telling you things aren't looking good?

And the best you can do for us now is tell us no, no, we're not unemployed, we're underemployed.

Because that makes my quarter million dollar degree feel so. Much. Better.

Exactly. Underemployment can be just as bad as unemployment when you have a $1500 student loan payment due every month. It's not a solution. Ugh. Just ugh.

"“The estimate’s not really saying that there are 11,250 veterinarians who can’t find work. What it is saying is that a majority of private practitioners don’t feel like their capacity to provide services is being fully utilized.”"

Are they ****ing kidding? No, that says that 11,250 people can't find jobs. That's a huge ****ing problem and skewing it with semantics like "don't feel like their capacity to provide services is being fully utilized" doesn't change a darn thing. That sentence is like the six-sigma jargon Jack Donaghy used to come out with on 30 Rock. Next they'll be telling us that we just have to utilize vertical integration and leverage disintermediation paradigms and all our problems will be solved.

This made me so mad I actually had to stop reading the article... 😡
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally, they are telling the truth. Reality is the job market is very tight. I know some that are about to graduate that are still looking. When I was in school, I had a job by February of 4th year.