1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Avoid certain months to take DAT's?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jedistar78, Apr 20, 2007.

1. jedistar78

Dental Student
    Is there even such a thing? I heard from friends to avoid certain months when there is a huge influx of students taking the DAT's. Is this true? :eek: :eek:

I'm planning for mid-June. I hope this is okay?

Also, I finished my undergraduate degree 5 years ago...but never took physics. I'm thinking about taking courses this summer and next summer...but was hoping to get into D-school 2008 fall. Is it possible to take prerequisite courses the summer before entering Dental school?

Thanks a million for your help.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    The only thing I could think of is that there are more students taking tests at the prometric centers in the summer so you might not have as many choices on when to take the test.

4. toothfairy85

toothfairy85 Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I took my DAT mid-June but ended up driving to Austin because the dates I was looking at were booked at both testing centers in San Antonio. If you know that's when you want to take it, I suggest setting a date pretty soon. You can always change it 48 hours in advance if you don't feel you are ready.

As far as completing prerequisites the summer before you matriculate, you will want to check with the schools you are applying to. I know there are several schools who want all prereq coursework completed before June 1st of the year you plan to start. Also, keep in mind that some schools start in June and July.

5. doc toothache

Dentist
    You need to stop listening to your "well informed" friends.

6. diane07

Pre-Dental
    The number of credit/semester hours required for physics may vary depending on the school. First check out the requirements for the school(s) you plan to apply to.

7. jedistar78

Dental Student
    Thank you for your help. I think it's harder to get the information I need since I'm currently in China.(had to move because husband doing international MBA program at Tsinghua) Can't wait to get back to the states. And the advice of some of my "Friends"...yeah...they've given me more ulcers than anything. JUNE here I come~!!! :D :eek: :scared: :oops:

8. polf

Dental Student
    the "avoiding certain months" was a concept before the DAT got computerized and were only given a few times a year. Back then your scores were actually based on the cuve of everyone who took the DAT at that date, and some people argued that overachievers tended to take the earlier DATs and that you should avoid taking the DAT on those dates. Don't know if it was myth/truth, but either way it doesn't matter now. With computerized tests, the curve you're compared against are years of data, not data from a single test date.

9. neatofrito55

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

#8 neatofrito55, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  10. doc toothache

Dentist
  11. Orgodox

Dental Student
    Im not sure myself but from what i have read on other posts the percentile is based on how other people in the country did on that exact test and I heard the schools dont even see the % just the number but theyre was a lot of controversy on this issue here on SDN

12. sajjy

Dental Student
    the best month to take DAT is a month after December and before January. :D:D:D

13. CookieDough

Pre-Dental
    You silly thing

14. sajjy

Dental Student
    COOKIEDOUGH.....what happened to your previous Avatar?;)

15. CookieDough

Pre-Dental
    Ehh, I'll bring it back at a later date. Maybe a whole new version this summer!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. sajjy

Dental Student
    is that your real picture? If it is...then damn, you are really CUTE:love:

18. TheWiredNerv

Pre-Dental
    This is like saying don't take it on the 13th of any month.

19. CookieDough

Pre-Dental
    Haha, you know.. while growing up, I was always #13 in class-related stuff, counting off students for a project etc, so I've come to find it pretty practical to be lucky #13. To be on the safe side however, I won't schedule my DAT for the 13th of any month. ;)

And thanks, sajjy :p