Avoiding the 4-year University?

Started by ProLogic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ProLogic

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently in my first year of Community college right out of high school. I'm still in between whether I want to follow the PA route, or the MD route. Next semester I will be taking science courses that fulfill the requirements for PA (chem, anatomy & phys. e.t.c). My question is, is there a way to avoid the 4-year school and still be able to get into a med school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My question is, is there a way to avoid the 4-year school and still be able to get into a med school?

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I think for the vast majority of PA schools you have to have a BA (or BS) also. So, either way you're looking at attending a 4-year university for your last two years of college.
 
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I think for the vast majority of PA schools you have to have a BA (or BS) also. So, either way you're looking at attending a 4-year university for your last two years of college.

To my knowledge PA schools do not require a BA nor a BS. PA programs are for certificate. Although, most schools require a medical background (RN, MA, EMT e.t.c)
 
To my knowledge PA schools do not require a BA nor a BS. PA programs are for certificate. Although, most schools require a medical background (RN, MA, EMT e.t.c)
Some PA programs require 2+2 (College plus program). Others are BS+2. Some are contiguous 4+1 programs.
 
To my knowledge PA schools do not require a BA nor a BS. PA programs are for certificate. Although, most schools require a medical background (RN, MA, EMT e.t.c)

The majority of PA programs I've looked up are graduate programs leading to a Masters degree. As for a Bachelor's, it probably varies by school if it's required or recommended. Just keep in mind that many medical schools also don't technically "require" a Bachelor's either, but do you want to try applying without one?

Go to the source: http://www.aapa.org/geninfo1.html
 
Last edited: