Awaiting Interview Letters from Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Earthlight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had applied to optometry schools during the beginning of October, and am waiting for an interview request letter to come through from each of them. I applied to PCO and NECO. How much longer would I have to wait?

Additionally, what should I expect in admission interviews? Which types of questions should I anticipate? How should I carry myself in an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I had applied to optometry schools during the beginning of October, and am waiting for an interview request letter to come through from each of them. I applied to PCO and NECO. How much longer would I have to wait?

Additionally, what should I expect in admission interviews? Which types of questions should I anticipate? How should I carry myself in an interview?

I'm was in the same boat as you. I also applied to schools at the beginning of october. Some schools were waiting for me to retake my OATs on Oct 31st...and when I got much higher scores, PCO and NOVA extended interview invites. NECO hasn't...they might be waiting for my fall grades to be sent to them.

In short, they might be waiting on fall grades if youre currently taking classes, or OAT scores, if you havent taken them/need to retake them.

I have not heard from NECO either, I applied to 10 schools (just in case with my low GPA) and have heard back from 8 of them (IU being the other one not to yet reply but they were delayed since they are stupid and lost my LoRs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer. I had applied to PCO in late September, NECO in early October, and ICO in mid October. I heard back from PCO after about 3 weeks, and ICO and NECO after about 4 weeks. Did you call the schools and ask the status of your application?

Check out the Interview Feedback Sticky for an idea of what the interviews will be like. From personal experience...

PCO - 1 on 1 interview with a faculty member (closed file), 1 on 1 file review (open file), financial session, tour and lunch.

ICO - the same except the 1 on 1 interview was open file.

You won't be asked anything unusual...check out the Sticky.

Hope this helps...

Hmm, I find that odd. Neco received my application on the 10th of December and extended an interview to me on the 13th.

Yes, have contacted both schools and their admissions staff has stated that my application file is complete. When PCO had received my application file, they stated that I needed to complete a microbiology course in order to be admitted. I wrote to them that I would take the course if I were to be admitted. It is to my knowledge that PCO requires the course to be completed prior to enrolling. In order for me to register for the micro course, I need to do that no later than the beginning of January, and I will take it if I am guaranteed entrance into optometry school. Because January is coming up soon, and I have not heard anything else from PCO other than my application is under review and if there is anything else I want to add to my application file, I am hoping to receive a letter from them soon. It is very frustrating when you cannot receive a straight answer.

Has anyone else been in this type of predicament?

Yes, have contacted both schools and their admissions staff has stated that my application file is complete. When PCO had received my application file, they stated that I needed to complete a microbiology course in order to be admitted. I wrote to them that I would take the course if I were to be admitted. It is to my knowledge that PCO requires the course to be completed prior to enrolling. In order for me to register for the micro course, I need to do that no later than the beginning of January, and I will take it if I am guaranteed entrance into optometry school. Because January is coming up soon, and I have not heard anything else from PCO other than my application is under review and if there is anything else I want to add to my application file, I am hoping to receive a letter from them soon. It is very frustrating when you cannot receive a straight answer.

Has anyone else been in this type of predicament?

If the micro course is the only pre-req remaining, you are correct that it needs to be completed before you would start at PCO... so you could take it next semester or over the summer. It should NOT be keeping you from getting an interview (I was extended interviews & acceptances without having the pre-reqs complete, and all they tell you is to finish them with a decent grade).

Not that this sounds great, but they might just be busy... PCO has A TON of applicants. Good luck with everything! :xf:

Thank you very much.

Do I have to do anything else in the meantime while I am waiting, other than registering for the micro course?

I applied on 10/27/08 and got invited on 11/06/08 - and got accepted at PCO. So it's not that slow!

I applied on 10/27/08 and got invited on 11/06/08 - and got accepted at PCO. So it's not that slow!

What was your GPA and OAT scores? Was your complete package (including letters of recommendation) ready by the point that you applied?

I am an average student. GPA 3.55, OAT 320/340TS, 3 1/2yrs experience in optic, lots of community/leadership activities, 2/3 LOR ... everything seemed fine. Interview was comfortable, yet strictly asked questions. I think I am an average candidate - in compare w/pp here who have really high OAT score. Hope that help