Awake during a procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this will probably sound crazy (and I'm not sure if I can ask this on here), but here goes anyways.

I have watched a fair number of surgical procedures while shadowing doctors and I intend to enter a surgical field someday. I recently had the chance to watch a rotator cuff repair, which was exceptionally cool for me because I am having my repaired arthroscopically this summer.

Is it possible to get a nerve block, or something of the sort, and be awake during a procedure? I sorta want to watch the monitors while they are operating on my shoulder. I probably sound really crazy, but I can't imagine a cooler experience...
 
I know this will probably sound crazy (and I'm not sure if I can ask this on here), but here goes anyways.

I have watched a fair number of surgical procedures while shadowing doctors and I intend to enter a surgical field someday. I recently had the chance to watch a rotator cuff repair, which was exceptionally cool for me because I am having my repaired arthroscopically this summer.

Is it possible to get a nerve block, or something of the sort, and be awake during a procedure? I sorta want to watch the monitors while they are operating on my shoulder. I probably sound really crazy, but I can't imagine a cooler experience...

My dad had regional anaesthesia for his shoulder surgery, but they converted it to general anyway. Its possible to do, ask the anaesthesiologist.
 
Yes, it can be done with just a nerve block but you have to be aware that it doesn't always cover 100% of your shoulder so be prepared for the eventual GA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're going to be a PA now? How about being an AA? Case has a program...

I know this will probably sound crazy (and I'm not sure if I can ask this on here), but here goes anyways.

I have watched a fair number of surgical procedures while shadowing doctors and I intend to enter a surgical field someday. I recently had the chance to watch a rotator cuff repair, which was exceptionally cool for me because I am having my repaired arthroscopically this summer.

Is it possible to get a nerve block, or something of the sort, and be awake during a procedure? I sorta want to watch the monitors while they are operating on my shoulder. I probably sound really crazy, but I can't imagine a cooler experience...
 
Your not going to see much with a drape over your head. Do yourself a favor get a block and take a nap.
 
If I was going to do anesthesia, I'd go the CRNA route because I'll graduate with a BSN (best way I could think of to get the hands on patient contact hours... and pay off undergrad loans!). Oh and Case has some pretty crazy prereq requirements! Eeek.

They don't have to put the drape over my head, do they? The rotator cuff procedure I saw, the lady was sorta sitting up in the bed. If they took all that stuff off her holding her in position the the blue drape off her, she could totally see 😛
 
If I was going to do anesthesia, I'd go the CRNA route because I'll graduate with a BSN (best way I could think of to get the hands on patient contact hours... and pay off undergrad loans!). Oh and Case has some pretty crazy prereq requirements! Eeek.

They don't have to put the drape over my head, do they? The rotator cuff procedure I saw, the lady was sorta sitting up in the bed. If they took all that stuff off her holding her in position the the blue drape off her, she could totally see 😛

All that stuff maintains the sterile field, not just for decoration. It's not like you'd be able to turn your head towards the shoulder they're operating on and watch. At best you would be able to watch the arthroscopic stuff on the monitor.