Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I have a rather unique question that I could not find the answer to when I searched. I know that typically it is unwise to put awards/ECs from high school onto your application, but I read somewhere on SDN that there may be some exceptions. I was wondering if this might be one.
In my senior year of high school, I was named 1st team All State in Basketball, and my state's largest newspaper named me the MVP of that year. Obviously this award required a lot of work, and could be impressive to some ADCOMs.
However, I feel that it is important to add... The state I went to high school in is certainly not extremely athletically competitive. So despite the fact that I won this award, I was not offered a Division I scholarship to play basketball. Instead of going to a DII or DII school to play, I decided to attend the institution I most wanted to, where I received a substantial academic scholarship, but likely would not be able to compete basketball-wise (Mid tier DI).
I have just finished my first semester and am really enjoying school. I got a 4.0 this semester, have volunteered some, and found a research position starting in January. I am perfectly happy not playing team basketball (Although I still play regularly with friends). But, my one concern is that ADCOMs will look down on me for not continuing to play competitively. I could possibly make the team if I tried to walk on, but I do not think that the amount of sacrifice necessary to do this would be worth it to me.
Down the road when I am applying to medical school, should I list these two athletic awards on my application? Would I need to explain why I did not continue to play?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your input.
In my senior year of high school, I was named 1st team All State in Basketball, and my state's largest newspaper named me the MVP of that year. Obviously this award required a lot of work, and could be impressive to some ADCOMs.
However, I feel that it is important to add... The state I went to high school in is certainly not extremely athletically competitive. So despite the fact that I won this award, I was not offered a Division I scholarship to play basketball. Instead of going to a DII or DII school to play, I decided to attend the institution I most wanted to, where I received a substantial academic scholarship, but likely would not be able to compete basketball-wise (Mid tier DI).
I have just finished my first semester and am really enjoying school. I got a 4.0 this semester, have volunteered some, and found a research position starting in January. I am perfectly happy not playing team basketball (Although I still play regularly with friends). But, my one concern is that ADCOMs will look down on me for not continuing to play competitively. I could possibly make the team if I tried to walk on, but I do not think that the amount of sacrifice necessary to do this would be worth it to me.
Down the road when I am applying to medical school, should I list these two athletic awards on my application? Would I need to explain why I did not continue to play?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your input.