Away elective at JSEI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twintiger32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this question now (seems a little early) before match day hits and all of the seniors stop browsing this forum...:cool:

Has anyone here done an away elective at JSEI? How was your experience as an away student? How were you treated? Did you get plenty of attending exposure? Did you end up with a LOR from the program? Were you involved in any research? If you could PM me or provide any sort of information, I'd appreciate it very much.

Good luck on the match. :luck:

an MSIII

Members don't see this ad.

I did an away elective a few years ago at Harbor-UCLA (JSEI satellite). It was a great experience and I learned a lot, and got to work with a few residents. However, exposure to attendings there was minimal, and I don't think the ones I worked with had a lot of clout up on the main campus. I didn't even get an interview offer there, even though I showed a lot of interest, initiative, etc. Granted, this was years ago, maybe things are different, but I would recommend doing a rotation at the main JSEI campus.
But I ended up matching at a decent residency, and just matched for a great fellowship!