Away Elective for Fellowship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bochaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN fellows,
I am a PGY2 resident. I am from a low tier community program. I am applying for fellowship this year. As we all know, due to COVID19 pandemic, a lot of big hospitals in my city are not accepting any away elective for now. However, I might have a chance to get away elective in middle tier community/university affiliated program.
I want to ask your opinion regarding this. Do you guys think I should take the away elective? Would this enhance my CV?
Some background, I am applying for Endocrine, so this is not a super competitive fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN fellows,
I am a PGY2 resident. I am from a low tier community program. I am applying for fellowship this year. As we all know, due to COVID19 pandemic, a lot of big hospitals in my city are not accepting any away elective for now. However, I might have a chance to get away elective in middle tier community/university affiliated program.
I want to ask your opinion regarding this. Do you guys think I should take the away elective? Would this enhance my CV?
Some background, I am applying for Endocrine, so this is not a super competitive fellowship.
You don’t need an away elective...did you rotate with endocrine at your home program? Get a lor from them...see if you can do some research or at least a case report /poster...aace is still taking abstracts I think...Ata and Ada will be open later.
Are you an amg? You shouldn’t have any problems...do or I/fmg you will just need to apply to more places.

Thanks for your reply. I am an IMG. Yeah I have rotated with my home institution. I was just wondering if this experience would boost my CV and help me land in a better program during the match

Thanks for your reply. I am an IMG. Yeah I have rotated with my home institution. I was just wondering if this experience would boost my CV and help me land in a better program during the match
Probably not...the more publications you have would be the biggest boost ...harder now what with covid, since going to meetings to present helps with meeting PDs and this year endo will be virtual ...they haven’t said yet about he the other meetings just yet.
Virtual meetings still could be helpful ...there are regional endo meetings as well...the virtual part at least lets
You go to meetings that otherwise would be too difficult to go to...I think Georgia’s endocrine meeting is in a few weeks.

endocrine is a small world...I’m sure the endos at your program know people at places you are interested in.