Away elective vs. research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StealYourFace

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A current MS 3 here, trying to set up a 4th year schedule. If I'm interested in matching into a specific anesthesia program, would my interests be best served by trying to do research at that institution, or just doing an away elective there? I know people suggest electives -- I was just curious if doing 2-3 months of research during 4th year at your institution of choice was even more beneficial.

Also, I've heard that doing research at a specific institution might help you there, but hurt you other places (relatively) because they assume you already have a 1st choice -- any truth to that?

As far as scheduling electives, how soon do the competitive places begin to fill up? Time to start working on it now?

Sorry if this has been covered before -- just made up my mind about anesthesia after thinking I was going to do medicine, and trying to get a handle on things!

Members don't see this ad.

StealYourFace said:
A current MS 3 here, trying to set up a 4th year schedule. If I'm interested in matching into a specific anesthesia program, would my interests be best served by trying to do research at that institution, or just doing an away elective there? I know people suggest electives -- I was just curious if doing 2-3 months of research during 4th year at your institution of choice was even more beneficial.

Also, I've heard that doing research at a specific institution might help you there, but hurt you other places (relatively) because they assume you already have a 1st choice -- any truth to that?

As far as scheduling electives, how soon do the competitive places begin to fill up? Time to start working on it now?

Sorry if this has been covered before -- just made up my mind about anesthesia after thinking I was going to do medicine, and trying to get a handle on things!

Do an away elective. You should only do research if you really want to do it and maybe if it lacks on your application. Otherwise, the best way to match at a specific program is to do an away elective there.

Thanks Soon2bent -- research is not my thing, but I would think about it if it were more helpful than an away elective for a given institution.

Anyone else agree/disagree that an away elective is the better choice? Time wise, do I need to get moving on away electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
StealYourFace said:
Thanks Soon2bent -- research is not my thing, but I would think about it if it were more helpful than an away elective for a given institution.

Anyone else agree/disagree that an away elective is the better choice? Time wise, do I need to get moving on away electives?

I agree with Soon2bent, and even if you were interested in doing some research, there is only so much you can do in one month. You might even get a paper or 2 out of it if the results are conducive and if most of the work has been prepared for you before you start, but you wont really know the project as well as if you'd worked on it for a year through the ups and downs, working out all the glitches, etc.

I'd also say go for the away rotation, cause not only will you be able to personally show the program how you work, you'll get a more detailed view and feel of the program. Pick one (or more) of your top choices, but do a practice rotation at your home program first if you haven't rotated on anesthesia yet.

OK, sounds like people are coming down in favor of away rotations.

When scheduling more than 1 audition elective, do people generally schedule the same type of rotation at each audition? I.e. if you do a basic/clinical/intro-type anesthesia course at institution A, do you pick a different, more specialized type of audition elective at institution B? Or do you just repeat the basic course at school B because you're auditioning?

Still would be interested in hearing more opinions on the research vs. away rotation thing, btw!

Has anyone done research during third year or fourth year? I'm curious how other students coordinated research within their rotation schedules. (1 or 2 month block vs. several weeks between rotations during the year)