away electives in SoCal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcvieri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions regarding doing an away elective at the following SoCal programs: UCLA, Loma Linda, USC, UCI? Any thoughts on their programs? Also, does anyone have any experience with the Stanford away elective? Finally, FRIEDA states that several of these places are not accepting applications for the upcoming year. Does anyone know anything more about this? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, am curious to hear abou this. I plan to do this myself, during my third year. How many away rotations did you guys do?

I have experience with the Stanford elective. I would recommend it...if you work hard, you can get a very nice letter. Overall, it is a great academic center with a strong program. The elective is scheduled so that you spend most of your time in tumor boards (actual clinic structure at Stanford). This allows you to see the role rad-onc plays within a multi-disciplinary team. The residents are very smart and pretty laid-back. It was a fun month...only negative is that some of the faculty are, shall we say, a little eccentric and a bit snobby towards the non-Ivy league crowd.:rolleyes:

thank you for the information