SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Away electives not completely related to interested specialty

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by aintgotnoscrubs, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:20 AM.

1. aintgotnoscrubs

aintgotnoscrubs

Jul 7, 2016
    I'm planning on applying to away electives in CA, which is where I plan to do residency (go to med school out of state). Pursuing IM residency.
    I read on the ACP and the forums here that they recommend doing electives in ones that aren't IM-related, for instance, radiology and pathology. I was looking at the Kaisers in CA because they don't charge tuition or processing fees according to VSAS, but they require letter of intent for dermatology, psychiatry etc.
    Should I bother applying to those electives? I feel like other applicants who are pursuing derm or psych would be taking those electives.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RadDocGoneBadDoc

RadDocGoneBadDoc

Jan 22, 2018
    I dont think you can go wrong with electives for IM. Since IM is such a broad field, doing a rad or derm elective should be okay.

aintgotnoscrubs likes this.
  4. Oso

Oso 2+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I think if you're going into IM, dermatology and radiology electives would be helpful. Psych and path a little less so, but doesn't mean they wouldn't be interesting. However, usually people do away electives in their field of choice (aka a program they're interested in matching at) and other electives at their home institution - so I'm not really sure why you want to do an away rotation in those elective fields if you may as well do it at home.

aintgotnoscrubs likes this.
  5. aintgotnoscrubs

aintgotnoscrubs

Jul 7, 2016
    My home institution doesn't offer regular psych or derm electives--choices are a bit limited :(