Away electives not completely related to interested specialty

Started by 783303
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

7

783303

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning on applying to away electives in CA, which is where I plan to do residency (go to med school out of state). Pursuing IM residency.
I read on the ACP and the forums here that they recommend doing electives in ones that aren't IM-related, for instance, radiology and pathology. I was looking at the Kaisers in CA because they don't charge tuition or processing fees according to VSAS, but they require letter of intent for dermatology, psychiatry etc.
Should I bother applying to those electives? I feel like other applicants who are pursuing derm or psych would be taking those electives.
 
I think if you're going into IM, dermatology and radiology electives would be helpful. Psych and path a little less so, but doesn't mean they wouldn't be interesting. However, usually people do away electives in their field of choice (aka a program they're interested in matching at) and other electives at their home institution - so I'm not really sure why you want to do an away rotation in those elective fields if you may as well do it at home.
 
I think if you're going into IM, dermatology and radiology electives would be helpful. Psych and path a little less so, but doesn't mean they wouldn't be interesting. However, usually people do away electives in their field of choice (aka a program they're interested in matching at) and other electives at their home institution - so I'm not really sure why you want to do an away rotation in those elective fields if you may as well do it at home.

My home institution doesn't offer regular psych or derm electives--choices are a bit limited 🙁