Away in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick q--any benefit to arranging an away in February? In my specialty of interest that is. As opposed to doing an elective in my home city in a similar but different specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick q--any benefit to arranging an away in February? In my specialty of interest that is. As opposed to doing an elective in my home city in a similar but different specialty.

I did it as a 3rd year. Best thing I ever did.

If we are talking 4th year, that is probably too late. Programs need to submit their rank order lists by the third week of February, and many are done interviewing by the first week of February. Gives you very little time to impress anyone, if that's your goal. And the point of away rotations should be to audition for a slot -- meaning you want the full month to work with, and you want it before places have more or less decided on their rank order lists. Which means January at the latest IMHO.