Away Residency Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since our Trauma center closed, we've had difficulty getting a good trauma rotation. We go to Cedars-Sinai right now, but as a level 1 goes, it's rather light on volume.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do an "away elective" during residency? We get several elective months during 2nd and 3rd year, so it would be great to do Trauma at another center. I'm talking about a rotation individually arranged by each resident, rather than officially obtained by the PD.

Members don't see this ad.

GeneralVeers said:
Since our Trauma center closed, we've had difficulty getting a good trauma rotation. We go to Cedars-Sinai right now, but as a level 1 goes, it's rather light on volume.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do an "away elective" during residency? We get several elective months during 2nd and 3rd year, so it would be great to do Trauma at another center. I'm talking about a rotation individually arranged by each resident, rather than officially obtained by the PD.

Still not in residency but under a lot of residency program's curriculum I saw "Elective" which on the bottom stated that can be done at an away place set up by the resident. I think if I remember right I saw Roja doing an away trauma rotation in Miami...

you should ask the PD about that in your interview

at my program we have a 1 month elective during the 2nd and 3rd years

until recently you could set up a month anywhere, like a hawaii ed or something similar.

now -- we can't leave unless we find someone who will pay our salary for the month. which essentially means we can't leave.

i don't know if this is just here or everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:

Yeah it's possible. I was just talking to a resident who is in the process of arranging a couple of them for herself. I don't know exactly how it is done, but there's a bunch of paperwork (because of license and malpractice junk), but somebody in the your department office should be able to help you.

I also think southerndoc was in miami or planning to go there for trauma. Perhaps a PM to them would be worthwhile, though Miami is far from LA, but the women are better looking in Miami. :)

GeneralVeers said:

We have a few established relationships with smaller residency programs, and regularly host residents from other institutions. (Cleveland) We also have a busy, physician helicopter service. You could do one month of trauma and one month of flight.

mike

nuke laloosh said:

until recently you could set up a month anywhere, like a hawaii ed or something similar.

now -- we can't leave unless we find someone who will pay our salary for the month. which essentially means we can't leave.

I was recently blocked by my GME department for an away rotation request--I was pretty annoyed. Basically it comes down to this: Medicare won't pay for you to be somewhere else, so your department/university/hospital pays out of pocket (salary, liability, etc) for an away rotation. So it depends on how stingy your institution is...

dlung said:
I was recently blocked by my GME department for an away rotation request--I was pretty annoyed. Basically it comes down to this: Medicare won't pay for you to be somewhere else, so your department/university/hospital pays out of pocket (salary, liability, etc) for an away rotation. So it depends on how stingy your institution is...

This was the problem I expected, however as my program is not able to provide me with the proper education (when it comes to trauma) they should be expected to pay for an outside rotation. At least that's the argument I'm going to use.

dlung said:

dlung hit the nail on the head. It's all about your home institution and funding. As long as they OK it, you can find a place to go.

Good luck GV.

nuke laloosh said:

We have 2 elective months and one has to be in house but the other can be anywhere (Hawaii, London, and Mexico have been done recently). Up until recently both of the months could be done anywhere.

Just got home from Miami (*SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB*) and doing a trauma rotation at Ryder.

I can not say enough about this rotation. It was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I saw soooo much. I did so much. The faculty is great. There is minimal scut. The volume rocks.

Other places people have done truama rotations: Vegas, Denver, UT-H, UCSF. Residents do many other electives as well. (peds, gas rads, international etc) Key thing to do is PLAN ahead. Give yourself 6 mos time to be safe. You have to get temporary state liscence, etc. If you want some contact info on Miami or other info, feel free to PM me.