Away rotation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikudo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current allopathic student on the West coast hoping to match in the Midwest (UMinn or HCMC). How beneficial would an away rotation at UMinn be for helping me match in the area? I grew up in MN, attended UMinn undergrad and have a lot of family in the area, so my connections to the area with be apparent. I'm a bit worried about my competitiveness now that psych is more competitive: 207 Step 1, High pass / pass clinical grades (no honors yet). I do have strong LOR's, APA poster presentation, and a long demonstrable interest in Psychiatry. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current allopathic student on the West coast (UWash) hoping to match in the Midwest (UMinn or HCMC). How beneficial would an away rotation at UMinn be for helping me match in the area? I grew up in MN, attended UMinn undergrad and have a lot of family in the area, so my connections to the area with be apparent. I'm a bit worried about my competitiveness now that psych is more competitive: 207 Step 1, High pass / pass clinical grades (no honors yet). I do have strong LOR's, APA poster presentation, and a long demonstrable interest in Psychiatry. Any advice is appreciated!
MN isn't that competitive in terms of psych, I've almost never heard of anyone doing an away in the midwest before.

However

> 207 Step 1
> strong LOR's

May be on the lower side of stats. And based on that it sounds like you are probably a mediocre test taker but great clinically. If MN is truly your dream program then it probably wouldn't hurt to do an away and get to know some of the faculty and residents! Also with you have family then I doubt the away would be that expensive at all.

Go for it! :)

Reactions: 1 user