Away rotation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nysor_bttw

Cheetah pictures: Accepted.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks!

M3 from Texas here, looking to get out of the state for at least one away. I'm interested in robotics and am entertaining it as a career path, and I was wondering what programs are especially strong in that regard that I could consider putting in an application to. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask your program's residents if anyone has any personal experience.

I don't know any programs that are known for their robotics training but there are some programs that don't have much robotics experience at all.

Tulane is known for strong robotics training. There are plenty of others too, though I'm less familiar with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think the majority of urology programs will have at least a decent experience nowadays given its prevalence for us. I would look into places that have a robotics or minimally invasive fellowships if you wanted to see places doing a lot more than the bread and butter onc cases.

I would think the majority of urology programs will have at least a decent experience nowadays given its prevalence for us. I would look into places that have a robotics or minimally invasive fellowships if you wanted to see places doing a lot more than the bread and butter onc cases.

I would try to go somewhere with high volume and without a fellowship. That is the optimal combination. Places with fellowships may have more complex onc cases, but Don Juan is right when he says you will "see" those cases rather than do them at a place like that. In my experience, presence of a fellow can very much dilute your training opportunities especially with regard to onc and robotic cases.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As an update, I've accepted an away at UTSW and have an offer for Tulane that I will likely accept as well. If anyone is at those institutions, I'm looking forward to coming around. Otherwise, I'll be seeing you on the interview trail.