Away rotation and no interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwt16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done an away rotation and then not gotten an interview? Or done an away rotation after getting rejected from an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I think it is a common phenomenon among the competitive specialties. Sometimes you go to a big name institution for the purpose of getting a good letter and "hope" for an interview. Many students in plastics, rad onc, and radiology never get interview offers from their away rotations. But it looks good on the resume that they performed well at the top program... I am sure this trickles down through all specialties. Of course, it could also mean that the student did not perform up to par...but the rotation evaluation should hint at that.

cwt16 said:
Anyone ever done an away rotation and then not gotten an interview? Or done an away rotation after getting rejected from an interview?

Yep, happened to me. I did an away in New Mexico. Got LOR's and was even asked to apply there. Got an A on the rotation after the director told me that visiting student never get A's. I applied to that program an was turned down right away. No interview. Nothing. :confused: So not sure about that one. It seems so randon the whole residency application process. I figure it's their loss. Go figure??

CNphair said:
Yes. I think it is a common phenomenon among the competitive specialties. Sometimes you go to a big name institution for the purpose of getting a good letter and "hope" for an interview. Many students in plastics, rad onc, and radiology never get interview offers from their away rotations. But it looks good on the resume that they performed well at the top program... I am sure this trickles down through all specialties. Of course, it could also mean that the student did not perform up to par...but the rotation evaluation should hint at that.

But it is just plain rude. Also likely to discourage the applicant. :thumbdown:

bkn PD

cabinbuilder said:
Yep, happened to me. I did an away in New Mexico. Got LOR's and was even asked to apply there. Got an A on the rotation after the director told me that visiting student never get A's. I applied to that program an was turned down right away. No interview. Nothing. :confused: So not sure about that one. It seems so randon the whole residency application process. I figure it's their loss. Go figure??

Did you ask the program director? Errors do happen when there are hundreds of apps to be juggled. The worst they could say is no we didn't really mean it when we asked you to apply.

For example: We almost didn't interview an applicant who had the wrong box checked in the ERAS program. It was suposed to be "selected to interview". That's the signal to my coordinator to send an invite. Somehow the box below it got checked instead. It reads "invited to interview", so it was assumed that she just hadn't answered.

BKN said:
Did you ask the program director? Errors do happen when there are hundreds of apps to be juggled. The worst they could say is no we didn't really mean it when we asked you to apply.

So I got feedback from New Mexico today. It seems they take DO applicants (me) but only if you have taken the USMLE (which I didn't) It's buried in they website information. They do not recognize COMLEX at all. That is why my application was denied. Very crappy. :(

So I got feedback from New Mexico today. It seems they take DO applicants (me) but only if you have taken the USMLE (which I didn't) It's buried in they website information. They do not recognize COMLEX at all. That is why my application was denied. Very crappy. :([/QUOTE]

Is there still enough time to take USMLE step 2? If applying to allo programs, it is the only way they can compare you, since they don't know much about the COMLEX...actually, I don't thing many osteo programs can tell much about you from your COMLEX score. IMHO a very badly written exam!!! Take USMLE step 2 asap and see if they will accept the score.

Is there still enough time to take USMLE step 2? If applying to allo programs, it is the only way they can compare you, since they don't know much about the COMLEX...actually, I don't thing many osteo programs can tell much about you from your COMLEX score. IMHO a very badly written exam!!! Take USMLE step 2 asap and see if they will accept the score.[/QUOTE]

I do not plan on taking USMLE, for one I cannot afford it. This year COMLEX has been converted to a 2 digit score solely for this reason. So they can compare it with USMLE. Plus, I don't know if I can take USMLE step II without taking step I?? Seems ridiculous to be battling this so much. My thing, if they don't want my score, they don't want me, I don't want to be there.

cwt16 said:
Anyone ever done an away rotation and then not gotten an interview?

I think it's poor form that some programs do this! :thumbdown:

But then again, if programs behave that way, you're better off not going there.

Yeah I was quite surprised when I was denied pre-interview after having done an away rotation at the institution. Anyone ever done an away rotation after being denied for an interview?

Methyldopa said:
I think it's poor form that some programs do this! :thumbdown:

But then again, if programs behave that way, you're better off not going there.
Absolutely!

Consider it a slap in the face, extend your middle finger, and go to a program that wants you!

How is this.. I got rejected from doing a 4th yr rotation! Then they wait list me for a regular interview. Kinda weird IMO.

This is not so uncommon.

A couple of years ago, we had a really bright DO student rotate through our radiology department. He had all the qualities you would look for in a resident (showed up on time, gave an interesting presentation and was just a sincere friendly person to be around). Our GME comittee invited him for an interview, but when time came around to do the matchlist I didn't find him anywhere in the 'matching' range. My PDs explanation was that 'the dean didn't want him to match DOs because it made the program look less competitive'.
(The student didn't match for rads that year but ended up in a categorical IM spot at our hospital. With the next match he moved to an upper tier academic rads program....)

f_w said:
This is not so uncommon.

A couple of years ago, we had a really bright DO student rotate through our radiology department. He had all the qualities you would look for in a resident (showed up on time, gave an interesting presentation and was just a sincere friendly person to be around). Our GME comittee invited him for an interview, but when time came around to do the matchlist I didn't find him anywhere in the 'matching' range. My PDs explanation was that 'the dean didn't want him to match DOs because it made the program look less competitive'.
(The student didn't match for rads that year but ended up in a categorical IM spot at our hospital. With the next match he moved to an upper tier academic rads program....)

This is short-sighted on the part of the program and the dean. We are all individuals, each with our own positives and negatives, and should be evaluated as such. Generalizations can often be unfair to the individual. One thing is certain- with the variety of programs out there, such mentality does not hurt the applicant that has been rejected due to his affiliation with a certain group (DO, IMG etc.), as the above post demonstrates. He, if a special individual, will find a training berth somewhere and go on to head a department in his time (which is every training program's ultimate ambition), because it is impossible to suppress excellence. It is the program that adopts short-sighted policies that loses out.

EctopicFetus said:
How is this.. I got rejected from doing a 4th yr rotation! Then they wait list me for a regular interview. Kinda weird IMO.

They may have had a limited number of slots for rotations. That doesn't mean that they don't want your app. Further, most places need to handle their own students first. My dean would be annoyed if our students couldn't get an EM rotation while I filled the place with OOTers.

BKN said:
They may have had a limited number of slots for rotations. That doesn't mean that they don't want your app. Further, most places need to handle their own students first. My dean would be annoyed if our students couldn't get an EM rotation while I filled the place with OOTers.

BKN,

Thanks for the response. I just found it very weird and when I emailed the doc who handles 4th yr rotations lets just say I wasnt warmly greeted. Then I met someone who got a rotation there who applied after me. It doesnt really matter to me it was simply something that I found strange. As always thanks for your input.