Away Rotation - Elective or AI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NilaMonster

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am hoping to do an away rotation at a top program and I am not sure if I should do it as an AI or if I should do the elective instead. I originally was thinking AI, but now I am wondering if maybe the elective is the way to go since it might give me the opportunity to work with a greater number of attendings.

I will have already done a Sub-I at my home institution (very solid PM&R program) and have a decent amount of outpatient PM&R experience as well. I am planning the away rotation for October-ish, so I obviously am not looking to get letters out of it. I see it more as an opportunity to make myself known at this institution and hopefully impress, as well as see if it will be a good fit. As of now it will probably be my top choice due to the combination of being geographically ideal (significant other restrictions) and providing top tier training. I believe I am a pretty competitive applicant, but obviously maximizing my chances of matching at my first choice is ideal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!