Away rotation for peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmockingbird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to apply peds next year. Would you recommend doing an away rotation? I've gotten conflicting advice from two different mentors so just wanted more opinions if anyone is willing to weigh in.

I am interested in applying outside my region so having a letter from that area could be nice. On the other hand, I don't necessarily have any specific program (or even state/city) that I want to go to, and I guess I am a little afraid of it backfiring on me with having to learn a new hospital system and everything.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a discussion about this in another thread not too long ago (scroll down to about halfway through): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/peds-late-decision.1123296/

I think you have identified the crux of the matter, which is that it has the potential to actually backfire. In applying for residency, I received plenty of interviews from outside my area, so I certainly don't think you need a letter from someone "in the area." If you find there is one specific program that you love, then by all means go for an audition rotation. Otherwise, it's a very expensive month that won't really do much to make you more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know several people who did an away - a few people matched to it, but a few (who also ranked it as their top) didn't. One person I know did an away and it helped him figure out that it was a program that he DIDN'T want to go to. Which I think is useful too. So I think it might help in some cases, but I don't think you should feel obligated at all about that. I didn't do any aways and I don't think it hurt me. It certainly never came up during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
One exception MIGHT be if you are looking at a program that's really a big reach and you don't even think you'll get interviewed. At that point, you have nothing to lose and you can try to get an away and then work your butt off in hopes they'll rank you highly (I think most programs will interview everyone who rotated with them). I wouldn't count on matching there, but if I had a program like that which I was looking at, I'd consider an away.

I've said it before in other threads and I'll say it again. Away rotations are ideal for two situations:
1. A "reach" program that you would have a low likelihood of matching at based on paper or,
2. Geographic restrictions and only one or two programs within that area that would be satisfactory to match at.

I had #2. Did 2 aways. Matched at #1. High likelihood I wouldn't have matched there without the away for multiple reasons.