away rotation in CA

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by genome25, May 5, 2007.

1. genome25

genome25 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I want to do an away rotation in OB/Gyn in CA possibly at UCI, UCSD, or UCLA and was wondering if students at these schools could give me advice on which elective will give me most exposure to residents and faculty (chair, program director) at their school with the most influence so that I can show that I am interested in their program and a good candidate. Should I do a Sub-I, REI, Gyn Onc...any input would be sooo appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!!!:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi,

You might get more info in the ob/gyn forum. I'm at UCI. I would suggest high risk or onc to get the most exposure to the faculty and residents. (For resident exposure, the high risk rotation is probably best). It's a great residency program and I would highly recommend rotating with us. The people who do often end up coming (but by no means do you have to do an away, a lot of us didn't).

4. genome25

genome25 Member
    7+ Year Member

anybody at UCSD or UCLA? I was thinking a REI elective at UCSD or UCLA...is that an isolated elective or do I get to work with many residents and faculty?

5. Maitreyi

Maitreyi New Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Wednesday,

You said a lot of people don't do away's at UCI to end up going there - can you tell me average board scores/grades?

THanks!

6. genome25

genome25 Member
    7+ Year Member

:) board scores are listed for some schools i think on the apgo website...