Away Rotations....Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arb011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me on the competitiveness of getting an away rotation? I'm trying to set up my schedule for next year and need to start thinking about my options. Unfortunately I only have room for 1 away rotation. Is it common to apply for more than one away? I would imagine it would not look good to be accepted to an away institution and then have to turn it down.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how competitive they are. I applied for 2 for the same month block to ensure I would get one, and was offered the one I wanted so I withdrew my applications at the other. Incidentally, I was not offered an interview at the one I withdrew my application from, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Remember, you are paying this institution, and likely they have multiple spots over multiple blocks. Certainly the first block of M4 will be the most popular, and you will likely be "competing" with the university's own students. I haven't met anyone who got "rejected" from an away application...they just may not have gotten the specific time frame they wanted.

So I guess my advice is that if you absolutely can only do the away during a specific month, apply to at least 2 to ensure you at least get an away. I sincerely doubt it will hurt you to be accepted and then have to turn one down...that is the nature of the business.