MD away rotations for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they really worth doing during fourth year if you are interested in IM?
I keep hearing that aways are not really the norm for IM and can hurt your chances if you don't do well during the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! If anyone has done them for IM, any input would be great :)

My LoR from my away was one of the most mentioned things on my app.

Whether or not doing aways for IM is worth it is up to a lot of factors. For me, my school was a low-ranked MD school with no home institution so I wanted to be able to have a LOR from a true academic institution to "validate" my clinical grades. I also felt confident in performing well on the eval given my performance during 3rd year. To top it all off, there was a big name (T5-T10) academic institution I could rotate at without having to move so it didn't add any expenses outside of the application fee.

So for me, 100% worth it but only because everything lined up well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My LoR from my away was one of the most mentioned things on my app.

Whether or not doing aways for IM is worth it is up to a lot of factors. For me, my school was a low-ranked MD school with no home institution so I wanted to be able to have a LOR from a true academic institution to "validate" my clinical grades. I also felt confident in performing well on the eval given my performance during 3rd year. To top it all off, there was a big name (T5-T10) academic institution I could rotate at without having to move so it didn't add any expenses outside of the application fee.

So for me, 100% worth it but only because everything lined up well.
Is it too late to apply if a program opened applications at the beginning of this month?

Is it too late to apply if a program opened applications at the beginning of this month?
Depends on the program

They're typically first come first serve

Would need to be flexible on the dates and rotation type.

I'd email the coordinator after you send in your app