MD away rotations for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

taeyeonlover

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they really worth doing during fourth year if you are interested in IM?
I keep hearing that aways are not really the norm for IM and can hurt your chances if you don't do well during the rotation.
 
My LoR from my away was one of the most mentioned things on my app.

Whether or not doing aways for IM is worth it is up to a lot of factors. For me, my school was a low-ranked MD school with no home institution so I wanted to be able to have a LOR from a true academic institution to "validate" my clinical grades. I also felt confident in performing well on the eval given my performance during 3rd year. To top it all off, there was a big name (T5-T10) academic institution I could rotate at without having to move so it didn't add any expenses outside of the application fee.

So for me, 100% worth it but only because everything lined up well.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My LoR from my away was one of the most mentioned things on my app.

Whether or not doing aways for IM is worth it is up to a lot of factors. For me, my school was a low-ranked MD school with no home institution so I wanted to be able to have a LOR from a true academic institution to "validate" my clinical grades. I also felt confident in performing well on the eval given my performance during 3rd year. To top it all off, there was a big name (T5-T10) academic institution I could rotate at without having to move so it didn't add any expenses outside of the application fee.

So for me, 100% worth it but only because everything lined up well.
Is it too late to apply if a program opened applications at the beginning of this month?