Away Rotations for Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaktaD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a current MS3 considering doing an away rotation/subI in the region where I'd like to match next year. I've completed pretty much my entire education up until this point in the South, and would like to match in the midwest, but I have no connections there. Ideally, I'd like to avoid doing an away rotation because of costs and because my restrictive schedule makes it so that I'd have to do the away either before my own home subI or after applications have already been submitted, but I'd be willing to do one if it would significantly boost my chances of matching there.

I'm at a top 30 medical school. Passed Step 1 w/o a score and will take Step 2 in July. Some research experience (1 case report, two poster presentations), and good volunteering/leadership experience that I'll be continuing into the coming year.

Is it advisable to do an away simply to open up a region of the country I have no connections to?

Members don't see this ad.

For residency in the midwest, I think you'll be fine. If you were trying to break into California, it might be recommended, but with a solid application, you shouldn't have any issue getting interview invites in the midwest without having done a subI.

Reactions: 1 users
For residency in the midwest, I think you'll be fine. If you were trying to break into California, it might be recommended, but with a solid application, you shouldn't have any issue getting interview invites in the midwest without having done a subI.
Thank you for the reply! Do you think this is also applicable to some of the more competitive programs in the region (Lurie, Nationwide, Rainbow, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! Do you think this is also applicable to some of the more competitive programs in the region (Lurie, Nationwide, Rainbow, etc.)?

Yes. An away rotation is far more likely to hurt you than it is to help you. If you're anxious about whether they are worried if you will come to the midwest, you can tailor your personal statement to each program (just make sure you don't mix them up).

Reactions: 2 users
I agree, an away rotation is just unnecessary in peds. Coming from a good school and having good grades will be more than enough to match somewhere good.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you think so?
Because you're basically on a month long interview. If you rub one person the wrong way, they can go to whoever is in charge of residency recruitment and cause you to fall lower on the rank list than you otherwise would've. So for a solid applicant without any red flags, an away rotation doesn't help in peds.

Now, if you're a mediocre applicant or have some red flags, then an away can potentially help you--I've seen residents and attendings advocate for certain students who they worked well with. But you're still on a month long interview and still have to be conscious to not rub someone the wrong way.

Reactions: 1 user