Away rotations, how many to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monster-Mormon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a neurotic OMS-III overwhelmed by the away rotation application process. I am applying anesthesia and want to do 3--4 aways because I don't have a home anesthesiology program. My school also requires at least aways.

Backstory: My school has a 90 day deadline for setting up rotations so I have to have my first established by the end of this month, even though most of VSLO isn't open or accepting apps yet. Even more programs wouldn't report decisions until after our deadline, so I have limited options for the first rotation (July).

How many programs should I realistically apply to for that month in order to have a guaranteed rotation? I feel like I'm influenced by the medical school app system and residency app system where you just send out a billion apps and hope for the best. I'm in the top quarter of my class, passed step1/comlex1, have a pub and a few presentations, and honors on multiple shelf exams if any of that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

The game is going to change since Level 1/Step 1 went P/F, but my general impression is to do as many aways as possible, applying to 7-10 per month.

I applied anesthesiology this cycle and did 5 aways from Sept-Jan. I managed to squeeze in a gas rotation at the end of 3rd year where I got all my gas letters. My aways were solely for residency purposes and I'm glad I did them. I received 10 interview invites, half of which were because of aways. I have decent board scores and still got rejected/ghosted from the majority of aways I applied to. I think I applied to over 50 programs all over the country, and only landed 5. So 10% was my success rate. The shotgun approach with multiple dates is the way to go and you have to be careful with scheduling. If you end up having overlapping aways for a month, contact programs and see if they have other dates available- and if you're in this situation, then that's a good problem to have.

Let's be real: we go to DO schools and have an uphill battle in competitive specialties. Be realistic about which programs you do aways as they may be your best bet for residency applications next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As many as possible. You will prob get rejected by most. Reach out to programs you are specifically interested in. Withdraw apps that conflict with confirmed rotations. Watch out for places don’t you don’t get an automatic IV/rank after the audition.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought I'd follow up on this and say I matched anesthesiology at a program where I did an away through VSLO. Obviously ymmv, but I'll say there's value in trying to get aways.

Reactions: 2 users
Thought I'd follow up on this and say I matched anesthesiology at a program where I did an away through VSLO. Obviously ymmv, but I'll say there's value in trying to get aways.
Congrat!!!! I've got applications in to about 17 programs between VSLO and Clinician nexus, from July through November to each. I'm hoping to get something out of those. So far just a 2 week away in December. It's still early to find out.

I’ve applied to 17 anesthesiology auditions and have 4 set up. I passed step1/COMLEX 1 but my application is garbage otherwise (bottom 10% of my class, lousy shelf scores)

I’ve applied to 17 anesthesiology auditions and have 4 set up. I passed step1/COMLEX 1 but my application is garbage otherwise (bottom 10% of my class, lousy shelf scores)

Have you taken step 2 yet?

So far I’ve ended up with 5 always and 2 are at my top programs, super happy with how it has gone.

Did you apply to these programs via VSLO only? I've applied to over 20 and still haven't heard back. Any tips?
I have 2 aways from VSLO and 3 from applying to sites that don’t use VSLO. Much more success away from vslo. Probably 10 R‘s on VSLO and still waiting on like 10 sites. It’s such a struggle, not a ton of tips other than to direc contact some of the sites and express interest if they allow it.