Away rotations in Ophthalmology

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by skiing42, Aug 23, 2015.

1. skiing42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm at a top 10 medical school, doing well in clerkships and plan to have ~4-5 pubs by the time I apply (including a few first author papers and abstracts, some in ophtho, some in another specialty). Haven't taken step 1 yet, will take it in December. Should I do an away rotation in Ophtho if there is an institution I really want to go to?

2. DrZeke

DrZeke yzarc gniog ylwolS
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not necessary if you do average to above average on step 1.

3. Bronze Medal

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If there is a program in which you are VERY interested, and you honestly think that you can make a good impression, then I would say to go for it. Just make sure you really assess your ability to be likeable for a whole month, otherwise an away rotation could backfire.

4. Rhexis

Physician 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wouldn't if I were you.

5. OphthoApp

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How are you doing clerkships without having taken step 1?

DopaDO likes this.
  6. helpfulstranger

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I went to a foreign med school and consequently needed to do 5 aways to get American letters of rec and so forth, so I have more experience than most.

One place I made a good impression. One place I think I pissed everyone off and I'm not sure anyone at the other three rotations even knew I was there.

Choose a place where they have a busy clinic and med students are allowed a lane to try to tech patients. Show up early and leave late. Don't ask too many questions. Don't chat up patients too much -- it's not like the wards where you have time to write six page H and P's in which you delineate the family history of the patient's dog. This is a busy clinic. Help move the clinic, learn how to be efficient.

Good luck. PM me if you have more q's.