Away Rotations in the South

Started by kirk002
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kirk002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know of some strong programs in the south, southwest, or southeast that offer cheap places to stay or even put you up somewhere? Also what did some of you average spending wise on your away rotations? Fourth year is looking expensive with boards and interviews looming around the corner..... 😱
 
I spent a month at Emory on the cardiothoracic anesthesia service. It was a great experience both inside the OR and out. The clerkship was composed of 2 weeks in the CTICU and 2 weeks in the cardiac/thoracic rooms. I garnered a letter of rec from a very well respected faculty member. The residents were very nice, the faculty were approachable and the clinical experience was fascinating. However, I did not rank Emory because my fiancee did not receive an interview from her program. I would have been very happy to return; I will strongly consider Emory in the future for fellowship.

Atlanta was a nice city to spend a month. My fiancee and I rented a spare room from a guy within walking distance of Emory University Hospital. We paid $1000 for the month because there were two of us, but I looked at some rooms for $500-600 for a month.
 
kirk002 said:
Anyone know of some strong programs in the south, southwest, or southeast that offer cheap places to stay or even put you up somewhere? Also what did some of you average spending wise on your away rotations? Fourth year is looking expensive with boards and interviews looming around the corner..... 😱

I really enjoyed my month at UNC last year. Nice people, great teaching, and Chapel Hill is fun when school is in session. As for cost, I recall them sending a list of people willing to rent out a room for away students, maybe around $600 (I crashed with relatives).