Away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverandEver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I arrange for away rotations? I know I have to fill out the VSAS thing online.
1. When do I need to fill the VSAS thing out by?
2. How do I arrange for housing?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How do I arrange for away rotations? I know I have to fill out the VSAS thing online.
1. When do I need to fill the VSAS thing out by?
2. How do I arrange for housing?

Thanks.

Depending on how sought out after the electives (and field) are, get your app completed and submitted ASAP. Seeing how it's practically June, if you apply too late, you may be left with nothing. Also, it gets trickier if you are limiting yourself to 1 program.

You can find housing by: asking the program coordinator if there are housing options available (some programs have dorms nearby for visiting students/rotators), craigslist (some might find risky), or if you can somehow find sublets through the medschool (there were always students looking for subleters at my school) that might be an option. One of the reasons why I chose to do the away where I did was so that I could crash at my parents' place.

Does your school have a clerkship director or student affairs person that helps with VSAS? I'm assuming that you don't have that help because you are asking about it, or you're actually a third year in which case, impressive.

What specialty are you trying to pursue and/or do your elective in? That kind of matters a bit because certain specialties have a larger emphasis on away rotations, therefore making it much more difficult to nab an early one now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school have a clerkship director or student affairs person that helps with VSAS? I'm assuming that you don't have that help because you are asking about it, or you're actually a third year in which case, impressive.

What specialty are you trying to pursue and/or do your elective in? That kind of matters a bit because certain specialties have a larger emphasis on away rotations, therefore making it much more difficult to nab an early one now.

I'll jump in. What if I was trying to nab medical oncology in NYC. But I was aiming for June 2012 (so a full year away). Applying now would be a good idea, considering that these programs tend to be 2 people per month, right?

I'll jump in. What if I was trying to nab medical oncology in NYC. But I was aiming for June 2012 (so a full year away). Applying now would be a good idea, considering that these programs tend to be 2 people per month, right?

Most programs don't schedule even close to that far in advance.

yea. I think I'm working the system cause NYU does book their whole year apparently as the apps come, and it opened for applicatiosn this month. Hopefully being early helps me out.

You're not working any system. While NYU may accept applications earlier than most schools, since they're not part of VSAS, it won't be processed until they have finished scheduling all of their own students (which isn't until May). Visiting students are allowed to register for whatever spots remain. They'll probably lose an application that is sent in 12 months before scheduling begins.

In any case, it's not difficult to schedule electives in June since most schools are still finishing up their academic year. July and August are considerably more difficult.

You're not working any system. While NYU may accept applications earlier than most schools, since they're not part of VSAS, it won't be processed until they have finished scheduling all of their own students (which isn't until May). Visiting students are allowed to register for whatever spots remain. They'll probably lose an application that is sent in 12 months before scheduling begins.

In any case, it's not difficult to schedule electives in June since most schools are still finishing up their academic year. July and August are considerably more difficult.

<Shrug> called them up and they said they are currently scheduling June 2012 for visiting students because all of their own students are already placed through then. I felt the way you said until a friend actually contacted them (and then I followed suit) to confirm they were actively scheduling for a year away right now.

Some popular sites do seem to schedule up to a year out so it doesn't hurt to contact where you're interested in going and asking how far in advance they recommend you apply.