aways in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorian24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 here. I recently heard that it is important to do away rotations for psychiatry. Is this true? For reference, I got a 256 on step 1 and have been doing well in clinicals so far. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in going to a different region of the country, it helps to show interest by doing an away in that area.

If you're competitive overall, then the top programs will offer you interviews because they don't really care where you went to med school. Some of the mid tier and community programs might see lack of aways in a geographic area as a way to filter your application out.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't really need them.
It might get you considered at a place or two that ordinarily wouldn't have paid much attention to your app, but if you've had adequate psych rotations at your home school, we aren't going to ding an app for not having them.
(I do know that for many DOs and others, "adequate psych rotations" are not a given--so yeah, you might need them.)
Oh, and just to add to your anxiety about it--keep in mind that they can also hurt your application if you don't do well!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told they wouldn’t make a difference. But it might help you because with that step score, it would give you a chance to show you aren’t one of those wierdos who do great on tests but have poor emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.

Reactions: 1 user
M3 here. I recently heard that it is important to do away rotations for psychiatry. Is this true? For reference, I got a 256 on step 1 and have been doing well in clinicals so far. Thanks!

Not true. Good luck

I was told they wouldn’t make a difference. But it might help you because with that step score, it would give you a chance to show you aren’t one of those wierdos who do great on tests but have poor emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills.
That score is not high enough to raise those concerns. Scores above 270 are where we start thinking r/o ASD etc

Reactions: 2 users
That score is not high enough to raise those concerns. Scores above 270 are where we start thinking r/o ASD etc

Do you really do this? I was mostly kidding. Although now I am wondering if PDs were thinking r/o intellectual disability when they saw my score.

Do you really do this? I was mostly kidding. Although now I am wondering if PDs were thinking r/o intellectual disability when they saw my score.
people with very high board scores are more heavily scrutinized. my students with astronomical board scores lead to PDs contacted me trying to get any dirt on them. at my program we more heavily screen the high flying applications for personality disorders (since ASD would be evident in the LoRs).

Reactions: 1 users

Humble brag :rofl:

people with very high board scores are more heavily scrutinized. my students with astronomical board scores lead to PDs contacted me trying to get any dirt on them. at my program we more heavily screen the high flying applications for personality disorders (since ASD would be evident in the LoRs).

That's freaking hilarious. Omg I love psych.

do it only if you've consistently established that you are a likeable person after a period of at least a week. otherwise, with your board score i wouldn't risk it. there's only one rule that applies to medicine across the board - does the benefit outweigh the risk? if youre looking to land a spot at MGH or something perhaps it becomes worthwhile doing an away.

My brain was clearly not working when I posted that hhahahaha.
FWIW I almost posted "humble brag" before the frontal lobes woke up this morning. (Not sure if they have yet).