Awkward match day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pugsnhugs

Reaction score
so I interviewed at a program that I plan to rank number 3. The interview and post interview communication seemed very favorable towards me. I have a rotation set up with them for March so I will be there for match day. I’m worried that if they rank me to match and I don’t match there they’re obviously going to know I didn’t rank them #1. How awkward would this be?!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's a solid 6 on the universal awkwardness scale.

Beyond passing the rotation, do you have any reason to care what these people will think of you? For example, is it in your hometown and you might want to work there eventually?

Why are you doing an away rotation in March of your MSIV year?

Reactions: 5 users
mainly because I tried to schedule rotations near my hometown so I could live with family for 4th year and that’s the only open slot they had available.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still a little confused. Is this a situation where there's no such thing as rotating at a home institution? If so, meaning you're going to keep the rotation, then there's nothing you can do about it anyway. And it's not like you're going to change your ROL just to avoid a little awkwardness.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s correct. There’s no rotating at my home institution. There is nothing offered. I know there’s not much I can do about it I just dread the awkwardness and wondered if anyone else has made the same dumb decision in the past lol

so I interviewed at a program that I plan to rank number 3. The interview and post interview communication seemed very favorable towards me. I have a rotation set up with them for March so I will be there for match day. I’m worried that if they rank me to match and I don’t match there they’re obviously going to know I didn’t rank them #1. How awkward would this be?!

Less awkward than you having to scramble during your rotation there.

Things could always be worse!

Reactions: 4 users
Don't worry about it. If you're ranked to match from their side and don't match there they're not going to fail you in retaliation

Have had that happen. From both ends of the scale. Students rotating with us that did not rank us high enough to match, and us not ranking them high enough to match. It works out. The Monday after match day may be a little weird, but then it just goes on from there.

Reactions: 5 users
I know someone who matched at advanced program B and prelim program A. 99/100 times this wouldn't be awkward, but they matched at prelim program A because advanced program A ranked them to match and specifically asked their respective prelim program A to also rank the person to match. I can't imagine the PD of advanced program A is happy because the person essentially took up what is supposed to be a limited number of guaranteed spots so their residents could be there for the entirety of training.

mm, yes, there's a way around that and it's having a combined residency

if it's set up the way you say, any prelim and advanced program should know there is potential for this

it sucks, still awkward, but yeah

This isn't awkward at all. No one there will really care. They will have their matches, and everyone knows there are a million reasons why people rank certain programs above others, including location, proximity to family, climate, personality and culture, etc.

Really, no one cares.

Reactions: 2 users
I know someone who matched at advanced program B and prelim program A. 99/100 times this wouldn't be awkward, but they matched at prelim program A because advanced program A ranked them to match and specifically asked their respective prelim program A to also rank the person to match. I can't imagine the PD of advanced program A is happy because the person essentially took up what is supposed to be a limited number of guaranteed spots so their residents could be there for the entirety of training.

I agree with the above, this really isn't awkward at all. The advanced program asks me to rank this person highly, and I do. They matched into my prelim but not into the advanced. I could care less -- I have a good intern in my program. Perhaps the people who matched at the advanced program didn't want the same institution for a prelim either. Perhaps the advanced program won't ask for something like this in the future. Most likely, no one cares.

If the programs really care, they could create a categorical match that forces someone to do prelim at the same place, or they could create a linked prelim which would guarantee (but not force) a prelim if someone matches advanced, but would avoid the above problem unless no one who matched advanced wanted the prelim.

Reactions: 4 users
I promise you're worrying about this more than the staff will on the other side. The only way to make it difficult is to lie and say they are you number 1... I've worked when this exact thing has happened and I promise I've only every seen people congratulated on their match without hard feelings. Don't sweat it.

Try to get over it and just do the best you can on the rotation. First off, depending on what you mean by 'favorable' post interview interaction, that doesn't mean much. Programs want to match candidates and they do what they can to make that happen.

I got a personalized thank you from a program I interviewed at. I didn't match at all. I sent something back to that program asking for feedback and got nothing back. They were either just being polite or just wanted to be sure they filled out their list on match day.

Even 'ranked to match' doesn't mean you will match there even if you rank them #1. All that typically means is that based on how far the program typically goes down their match list, you would be likely to match there.

Example:
They may typically go down to #20 on their list for 10 spots. They may have you at #20 this year, so technically you are 'ranked to match'. Maybe almost everyone who interviews with them this year loves it and ranks them #1. They may be filled by spot #12 this year leaving you sol.

In the end, you owe them nothing.

Ya gotta do you and forget about the rest in this case.

Reactions: 2 users
You are making the transition to the business of medicine. I have fired friends, I have hired people I hate. Nothing personal.

If someone doesn't accept our job offer, then I don't take it personally. If I didn't make a job offer, I hope they don't take it personally either.

Once you start residency, it begins to become all business. There may be a quick joke the day after, but residents are pretty fungible. Depending on the size of the program, they have likely seen hundreds of residents pass through. I doubt they will lose any sleep if you don't match with them.

I was in a similar position last year; I found out I matched my #1 while doing an away at a program I ranked lower, and my following rotation was at my home program which also was not my #1. It was initially awkward, especially at the latter, but everyone understands a lot of factors go into a rank list and will get over it quickly.

(Obviously, don’t go around talking about why the program you’re at wasn’t your favorite. Be professional and nice)

Just be diplomatic about it if you match higher on your list. No one will ask, but even if they do just say you're thrilled to go to program Y, which you had to rank highly because it's close to family or something, even though you really loved program X (where you are rotating today).

So this actually happened to me! I was rotating at a path program in the March of my 4th year, at a program that I interviewed at and then did not rank at all. I matched at my first choice and they had to scramble all of their spots. They actually (but playfully) blamed me for it, but ultimately filled and all was well. They didn’t fail me because of it.

So this actually happened to me! I was rotating at a path program in the March of my 4th year, at a program that I interviewed at and then did not rank at all. I matched at my first choice and they had to scramble all of their spots. They actually (but playfully) blamed me for it, but ultimately filled and all was well. They didn’t fail me because of it.
Glad it turned out okay for you. Thanks so much for your experience! Makes me feel better lol

You could always say that you really liked the program after your interview and ranked them highly, but that had you done your rotation there before having to turn in your ROL you'd have ranked them even higher! You just hope you'll be happy at XYZ...