Axial pain

Started by Dr. Ice
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr. Ice

Attending
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a patient today with axial low back pain exacerbated by oblique extension with radiation into the posterior thighs bilaterally. No radiation distally to the knees. He gets intermittent paresthesias in his toes. He was treated outside the practice with 3 lumbar ESI (surprise, surprise) with no relief and several months of PT. He had an EMG (which was surprisingly pretty thorough) which demonstrated evidence of chronic L5 radic and segmental demyelination.

Exam: Strength/reflexes normal, semental tenderness lumbar paraspinals. Pain exacerbated by oblique extension bilaterally.

MRI: small central disc at L4-5, facet arthropathy lower segments.

The question is..would you guys try lumbar medial branches to rule out facet as pain generator? The only thing that is throwing me is the paresthesias mainly in the great toe (b/l) which is suggestive of L5 involvement, and the evidence of segmental denervation on EMG. Unfortunately, if he gets no relief from dx MBB, I may have to send him for surgical eval...

just curious...
 
Had a patient today with axial low back pain exacerbated by oblique extension with radiation into the posterior thighs bilaterally. No radiation distally to the knees. He gets intermittent paresthesias in his toes. He was treated outside the practice with 3 lumbar ESI (surprise, surprise) with no relief and several months of PT. He had an EMG (which was surprisingly pretty thorough) which demonstrated evidence of chronic L5 radic and segmental demyelination.

Exam: Strength/reflexes normal, semental tenderness lumbar paraspinals. Pain exacerbated by oblique extension bilaterally.

MRI: small central disc at L4-5, facet arthropathy lower segments.

The question is..would you guys try lumbar medial branches to rule out facet as pain generator? The only thing that is throwing me is the paresthesias mainly in the great toe (b/l) which is suggestive of L5 involvement, and the evidence of segmental denervation on EMG. Unfortunately, if he gets no relief from dx MBB, I may have to send him for surgical eval...

just curious...

It IS facet mediated and will do well with MBB and DLS exercises. The paresthesias are myofascial referred pain and started 6 months after his axial low back pain began. But I'm only guessing.
 
yes to MBBs. "chronic radic" means very little, if anything, as it is an extremely subjective call. if theres nothing to operate on, why send to a surgeon?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ignore the EMG findings as they don't fit the rest of the picture. Chase the facets. As has been discussed, EMG/NCS are heavily operator dependent. If the EMG was done in the same practice that did the series of 3, then the procedure that was actually performed is called a "wallet biopsy."
 
Trial of spinal manipulation? You mentioned several months of PT but not specifically manipulation. Seems like he might be a good candidate.

How old is he?
 
agree with mbbs. you can r/o or in bilateral L4/5, L5/S1 in 5 min with little to no risk. If negative I'm not sure I would send him to a surgeon. Doesn't sound like he's got a surgical indication to me...
 
agree with mbbs. you can r/o or in bilateral L4/5, L5/S1 in 5 min with little to no risk. If negative I'm not sure I would send him to a surgeon. Doesn't sound like he's got a surgical indication to me...

thanks all.. agreed..mbbs it is. I may trial some myofascial relase or refer to chiro (dare I say it!) for some crackalackin! LOL...
 
Agree with MBBs.

If not done already, consider flexion extension x-rays
 
thanks all.. agreed..mbbs it is. I may trial some myofascial relase or refer to chiro (dare I say it!) for some crackalackin! LOL...

you could always send the patient to a DO for manipulation if you feel it is indicated👍