Azcom, ccom, dmu, osu, vcom, lecom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hottpants89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the upcoming cycle and am looking at these schools. Does anyone have any insights on any of them, either good things or bad things, to help me narrow it down? Or are there any other schools you would recommend? I was also looking at UMDNJ, PCSOM, Touro, WVSOM, Western, KCUMB, and LMU-DCOM.

Anything about quality of hospitals for rotations or residencies, amount of elective hours during clinicals, ability to specialize in areas other than family practice, success getting people into residencies, and anything else?

I have a 3.6 overall, 3.5 science gpa, 30O mcat and am a Virginia resident. Interested in going into IM as of now but that could change.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, nice stats. You'll probably be quite a competitive applicant. That being said, I think you should be looking to expand your list of schools more than cut it down. A lot of people with stellar stats don't get in to med school because they don't apply broadly enough. On the other hand, you might not want to limit yourself just to DO schools. There are a lot of good MD schools that might be a great place for you to be too.

Thank you. I only applied to DO schools because to me, if I can have all the benefits of an MD plus learn OMM on top of that, its definitely the way to go. The reason that I want to narrow it down some is that I don't want to spend the next month doing nothing but filling out secondaries. I have finished some and started on others but I was hoping to get it down to 6-10 total. But if anyone has a school to recommend that isn't in either of my lists that would be great too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I only applied to DO schools because to me, if I can have all the benefits of an MD plus learn OMM on top of that, its definitely the way to go. The reason that I want to narrow it down some is that I don't want to spend the next month doing nothing but filling out secondaries. I have finished some and started on others but I was hoping to get it down to 6-10 total. But if anyone has a school to recommend that isn't in either of my lists that would be great too.

This is what DO is all about! Wow someone actually qualified for MD but preferred DO? I hope this is the trend for the next few years! It serves to banish the myth that DO is for people who can't break 28 on the MCAT or have terrible GPAs or both. Thanks man!

Check out MSU and Western. Great schools and you would fully develop your potential that those two.

consider western and nova as well. i wouldnt say consider msu like the previous poster has mentioned. thier OOS tuition is rediculous.

PCOM, KCOM? What made you choose the schools you currently have? I don't see a trend among them.

PCOM, KCOM? What made you choose the schools you currently have? I don't see a trend among them.

I couldn't apply to PCOM because my undergraduate school does not have a pre-med committee and the dean of the University won't write me a letter to replace that one because he doesn't know me. So that was annoying but I still have a lot of choices. I am working on the secondaries for SOMA and KCOM too.

The schools I have listed are schools that I have heard about from other students or ones that I have heard about from people on here. I really have no idea what I'm doing though and that's why I'm asking for help on here. I don't know what a trend in them would look like because I'm having a hard time learning anything useful from their websites.

If you only are applying DO and you are applying late -- I would consider applying to ten schools at least. Once you get the Why DO essay done, the secondaries are essay... you usually just taylor the essay for that school though.

I would apply to all 6 above in addition to KCOM, KCUMB, NYCOM, and maybe PCOM -- of course, i didn't send in this premed LOR or dean LOR, and they told me my application is complete... but maybe I am in the reject pile for not sending in the correct LORs

Here's a link to hear about what students think of their schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

If you only are applying DO and you are applying late -- I would consider applying to ten schools at least. Once you get the Why DO essay done, the secondaries are essay... you usually just taylor the essay for that school though.

I would apply to all 6 above in addition to KCOM, KCUMB, NYCOM, and maybe PCOM -- of course, i didn't send in this premed LOR or dean LOR, and they told me my application is complete... but maybe I am in the reject pile for not sending in the correct LORs

Here's a link to hear about what students think of their schools: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

Well they all already have my primary. I'm just working on the secondaries now.

awesome stats, especially for DO..Have you considered MD at all though? you would be competitive at alot of MD schools as well, but if you want to go DO thats awesome too. I've shadowed alot of DO's and some of them practice OMM but ive noticed alot of them don't as well, depends on the doctor.

awesome stats, especially for DO..Have you considered MD at all though? you would be competitive at alot of MD schools as well, but if you want to go DO thats awesome too. I've shadowed alot of DO's and some of them practice OMM but ive noticed alot of them don't as well, depends on the doctor.

Is there any reason to go with MD over DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
consider western and nova as well. i wouldnt say consider msu like the previous poster has mentioned. thier OOS tuition is rediculous.

To add to that, MSU is the BIGGEST pain the ass to apply to. Their secondary requires you to get all your references to fill out individual forms and mail them in. They dont even accept Interfolio (online service) like almost all other schools. This alone shows me that MSU thinks they are hot **** and I dont wanna apply to a school that thinks they are better then they really are. In my opinion

Don't let the fact that you don't have a premed committee stop you from applying to pcom. I didn't either, schools just like to say that to make things easier but it doesn't mean they won't accept what LORs you have.

Don't let the fact that you don't have a premed committee stop you from applying to pcom. I didn't either, schools just like to say that to make things easier but it doesn't mean they won't accept what LORs you have.

x2. This is not an issue. You can still apply to PCOM just as you would any other school.

I couldn't apply to PCOM because my undergraduate school does not have a pre-med committee and the dean of the University won't write me a letter to replace that one because he doesn't know me. So that was annoying but I still have a lot of choices. I am working on the secondaries for SOMA and KCOM too.

The schools I have listed are schools that I have heard about from other students or ones that I have heard about from people on here. I really have no idea what I'm doing though and that's why I'm asking for help on here. I don't know what a trend in them would look like because I'm having a hard time learning anything useful from their websites.

The dean letter only needs to state that you were a student there and you graduate in good academic standing, it doesn't have to be a personal LOR.

To add to that, MSU is the BIGGEST pain the ass to apply to. Their secondary requires you to get all your references to fill out individual forms and mail them in. They dont even accept Interfolio (online service) like almost all other schools. This alone shows me that MSU thinks they are hot **** and I dont wanna apply to a school that thinks they are better then they really are. In my opinion

MSU accepts students based on the secondary only because they don't invite students to interview with them which is why their secondary is so long and detail versus other schools.

The dean letter only needs to state that you were a student there and you graduate in good academic standing, it doesn't have to be a personal LOR.

MSU accepts students based on the secondary only because they don't invite students to interview with them which is why their secondary is so long and detail versus other schools.

Thanks. I sent my primary to both PCOM campuses earlier today and I'll just send an extra letter from a faculty member or something like that. I am not applying to MSUCOM because of the out of state tuition.

Thanks. I sent my primary to both PCOM campuses earlier today and I'll just send an extra letter from a faculty member or something like that. I am not applying to MSUCOM because of the out of state tuition.

Msu gives out scholarships to offset the huge OOS tuition, so don't let that deter you too, especially with your stats.

Msu gives out scholarships to offset the huge OOS tuition, so don't let that deter you too, especially with your stats.

They sent me a request for a secondary in early August when they got my primary but I didn't fill it out because I didn't have my MCAT scores back yet. When I went to fill it out yesterday I saw that my secondary deadline was September 9th. So I think I missed my chance on that one but I will call to check. From what I read on their website and college booklet I would some of the schools I listed anyways.

They sent me a request for a secondary in early August when they got my primary but I didn't fill it out because I didn't have my MCAT scores back yet. When I went to fill it out yesterday I saw that my secondary deadline was September 9th. So I think I missed my chance on that one but I will call to check. From what I read on their website and college booklet I would some of the schools I listed anyways.

Ohh okay. Well, you still have a good chance of getting into somewhere, so no worries.

Anyone have anything else about the schools I had listed?

Anyone have anything else about the schools I had listed?

I am really liking KCUMB. It has some great clinical exposure, a true block curriculum schedule, and great residency placement. I would suggest you add it, if you haven't already decided to do so. Obvious downside, it's in KC, MO...

You can substitute the dean's letter for a pre-professional adviser letter. I just called the one at my school and after about 5 minutes of talking to her, she agreed to write me one. I just sent her my CV and that was that.

I personally liked DMU and CCOM when I visited last year - but for different reasons. DMU was great because it has a close knit family feel to its community. Students from there said that they preferred it to CCOM because it was much more laid back. DMU also has state of the art facilities that are unmatched in the osteopathic world. CCOM on the other hand, has rock solid clinical rotations in and around the Chicago area. The school is well respected and lies near all the AOA headquarters.

My stats were similar to yours and I too decided to apply only to Osteopathic schools. I had 6 Interviews, 5 acceptances, and 1 waitlist. In the end, the decision of where to go was easy. I decided on KCOM. It's about five weeks into OMS1 and I can see that I absolutely made the right decision. Quick bullet points why KCOM rocks:
-friendliest people you will ever meet live in Kirksville and work at KCOM

-Oldest and most established school of Osteopathy
-KCOM students have more class time in the school year because they spend extra time to become experts in OMM.

-Kirksville community LOVES medical students. No one cares in Chicago.
-Most influential Student Government Association of any of the Osteopathic schools which makes a huge difference in the way the school is run. Earlier this year the dean implemented a dress code in an email and repealed the dress code in no more than ten minutes when the SGA and class presidents told him that dress codes suck.
-Low cost of living. I have my own place with a garage, washer and dryer, and 3 acres of land for 400$ a month. Can't beat that.

you guys can PM me anytime if you have questions about KCOM or applying to med school. Happy to help.

I personally liked DMU and CCOM when I visited last year - but for different reasons. DMU was great because it has a close knit family feel to its community. Students from there said that they preferred it to CCOM because it was much more laid back. DMU also has state of the art facilities that are unmatched in the osteopathic world. CCOM on the other hand, has rock solid clinical rotations in and around the Chicago area. The school is well respected and lies near all the AOA headquarters.

My stats were similar to yours and I too decided to apply only to Osteopathic schools. I had 6 Interviews, 5 acceptances, and 1 waitlist. In the end, the decision of where to go was easy. I decided on KCOM. It’s about five weeks into OMS1 and I can see that I absolutely made the right decision. Quick bullet points why KCOM rocks:
-friendliest people you will ever meet live in Kirksville and work at KCOM

-Oldest and most established school of Osteopathy
-KCOM students have more class time in the school year because they spend extra time to become experts in OMM.

-Kirksville community LOVES medical students. No one cares in Chicago.
-Most influential Student Government Association of any of the Osteopathic schools which makes a huge difference in the way the school is run. Earlier this year the dean implemented a dress code in an email and repealed the dress code in no more than ten minutes when the SGA and class presidents told him that dress codes suck.
-Low cost of living. I have my own place with a garage, washer and dryer, and 3 acres of land for 400$ a month. Can’t beat that.

you guys can PM me anytime if you have questions about KCOM or applying to med school. Happy to help.

I have heard that there is a ton of traveling to and from rotations at KCOM, because like you said, other schools have solid rotation schedules in the areas around the school. I don't know what the hospitals in Kentucky are like that they send you to for sure, but that's my impression so far.

You will probably have to move once between your second and third year. The way it works is that mid second year you get matched to a core site like Denver, Detroit, Kirksville etc. and then you stick to that area for two years. Many schools do their rotations this way.

When comparing clinicals I would be wary of new schools. Typically it takes a few years to iron out the kinks in clinical rotation sites. SOMA and Western OR should be fine because their parent campuses have long since been using those places for core rotation sites. Also look real close at how many of the rotations are preceptor based. Some specialties like PM&R or FM are better with a preceptor, but almost anything inpatient you want to be in a teaching hospital with residents. That way if one resident or attending sucks at teaching, you have other people to learn from.

You gotta do a search, people ask this question every year. If you have specific questions after you read the old threads PM me or post em here and I'll get back to you.

Is there any reason to go with MD over DO?

Only that you'd have less hurdles to go thru if you pursue an ACGME residency especially if you attend DO school in one of "the 5 states".

I filled out secondaries for DMU, VCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM-E, UMDNJ, PCOM, and Western-Pomona this week so I'm just waiting to hear back from someone. Not sure how long that will take if its going to happen. If OSU, VCOM, or KCUMB ask me for secondaries I'll do those too. If I don't hear from someone soon I'll apply to some others too. Touro NY asked me to come for an interview even before I did a secondary but I'm probably not going to go.

I filled out secondaries for DMU, VCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, LECOM-E, UMDNJ, PCOM, and Western-Pomona this week so I'm just waiting to hear back from someone. Not sure how long that will take if its going to happen. If OSU, VCOM, or KCUMB ask me for secondaries I'll do those too. If I don't hear from someone soon I'll apply to some others too. Touro NY asked me to come for an interview even before I did a secondary but I'm probably not going to go.

Good Luck. Those are all good schools that you are applying to so no matter what you will end up in a good place.

Good Luck. Those are all good schools that you are applying to so no matter what you will end up in a good place.

Thanks. I also might send one to LMU-DCOM. I have seen a lot of reviews of it on here and still haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Thanks. I also might send one to LMU-DCOM. I have seen a lot of reviews of it on here and still haven't heard a bad thing about it.

Yea, I have heard really good things about LMU...so I would agree its a good school as well.

Why not at least add your state MD schools in there too. VCU, UVA and EVMS will all give you much better options for residency, even in IM.

Why not at least add your state MD schools in there too. VCU, UVA and EVMS will all give you much better options for residency, even in IM.

Because I haven't filled out an AMCAS application and I would need to get all my letter writers to send copies of the letters to AMCAS to do that. Plus it would take AMCAS a month to verify the application and it wouldnt get to schools until early November probably.

Only that you'd have less hurdles to go thru if you pursue an ACGME residency especially if you attend DO school in one of "the 5 states".

What are the 5 states? Sorry if that's stupid but I've never heard that before.

What are the 5 states? Sorry if that's stupid but I've never heard that before.

Correction: 4 states. (When I read about it previously, it also included West Virginia)

The 4 states are Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan, and Oklahoma. They require DOs to complete an AOA-approved internship year in order to gain licensure in that state. If not, there are ways around the rule. The most common option for those who completed their PGY-1 year in an ACGME residency is to appeal to the AOA thru Resolution 42: http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42

Correction: 4 states. (When I read about it previously, it also included West Virginia)

The 4 states are Pennsylvania, Florida, Michigan, and Oklahoma. They require DOs to complete an AOA-approved internship year in order to gain licensure in that state. If not, there are ways around the rule. The most common option for those who completed their PGY-1 year in an ACGME residency is to appeal to the AOA thru Resolution 42: http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42
Wait, that's just if you want to work in those states, not if you just go to school in them, right?

I applied to all those plus LECOM-Bradenton, and I'm mailing OSU and LMU-DCOM tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it usually takes schools to get back to you with an interview invite or rejection?