AZCOM clinical sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobtheDoc

Just a little pressure...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found various nuggets of wisdom throughout these threads on the +/- of the different AZCOM clinical sites, but not a good discussion in one place.

It seems to me that the Phoenix/Tucson sites are the largest medical centers with the most resources. For someone who doesn't plan on doing primary care or rural medicine, are those going to be the best sites to select?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found various nuggets of wisdom throughout these threads on the +/- of the different AZCOM clinical sites, but not a good discussion in one place.

It seems to me that the Phoenix/Tucson sites are the largest medical centers with the most resources. For someone who doesn't plan on doing primary care or rural medicine, are those going to be the best sites to select?

Any hospital with the name "Banner" in front of it is a place you should want to be. Especially if you want to venture beyond primary care. Arizona in general is pretty DO friendly and you'll make great friends with the U of A MD students who rotate with you. You'll notice you have a great deal to choose from and on the last page of your rotation site packet, you'll see all your core rotations are in Banner facilities.

Scottsdale is home to many of Arizona's wealthy and the hospitals there (Shea, Osborn, Mayo) are pretty good, too. The regional medical centers are actually pretty big (Kingman, Payson, Cottonwood, Yavapai) but those are in scarcely-populated areas of Arizona and there probably won't be as much excitement. However, you're not going to care much about excitement because all of THOSE sites enjoy weather that is about 20 degrees cooler or more depending on time of year than where you'll be going for medical school in Glendale, assuming you choose AZCOM. Not to mention they are very scenic and not what you'd expect from what is widely known as a hot, dry desert.

Thanks, lftbndlbrnchblk. I chose those sites for pretty much the same reasons that you just said but I was just guessing lol. They haven't even actually told us if we get the sites we ask for though! I really really want to know!