AZCOM vs CCOM help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both programs and would like to ask of you which do you think is the better program in regards to acedemics and strength of residency matches.

Pros of AZCOM - excellent COMPLEX scores, strong 1 & 2 yrs, climate.
Cons - weak 3rd and 4th year rotations

Pros CCOM - strong 3rd and 4th yr rotation opportunities, strong program
Cons- cold as shi*t for a long as* time.

I know that you want to choose a program that you feel most comfortable at, and I see myself being fine at both places......I am leaning towards CCOM though b/c the better clinical rotations that will hopefully lead to better residency options; I have also heard that Illionois is more D.O friendly Arizona..is this true?

Thanks for all the input!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Better clinical rotations = Better residency options???? What do you mean by better???

2. Better Board scores = Better residency options (TRUE) :thumbup:
3. AZCOM & CCOM students getting great residency spots (TRUE) :thumbup:
4. AZCOM & CCOM same university (TRUE) Same Curriculum? (FALSE)
5. Comfortable and happy environment = Happy Medical student (TRUE) ;)
6. COMPLEX = COMLEX (FALSE) :laugh:

With the University of Chicago and Northwestern close by i thought the chances of possilby rotating their during 3 and 4th year would enhance your chances of completing a residency there....also, since CCOM has been around longer do you think that they have built stronger affiliations and relationships with a greater number and/or stronger potential residency programs for their students to goto?

Members don't see this ad :)
corona 247 said:
I have been accepted to both programs and would like to ask of you which do you think is the better program in regards to acedemics and strength of residency matches.

Pros of AZCOM - excellent COMPLEX scores, strong 1 & 2 yrs, climate.
Cons - weak 3rd and 4th year rotations

Pros CCOM - strong 3rd and 4th yr rotation opportunities, strong program
Cons- cold as shi*t for a long as* time.

I know that you want to choose a program that you feel most comfortable at, and I see myself being fine at both places......I am leaning towards CCOM though b/c the better clinical rotations that will hopefully lead to better residency options; I have also heard that Illionois is more D.O friendly Arizona..is this true?

Thanks for all the input!

CCOM has by far much better rotations. You will do all your rotations in the Chicagoland area for the most part. At AZCOM, you leave the state. CCOM's reputation is excellent here in IL. Go to CCOM, you get used to the weather.

TomC727 said:
CCOM has by far much better rotations. You will do all your rotations in the Chicagoland area for the most part. At AZCOM, you leave the state. CCOM's reputation is excellent here in IL. Go to CCOM, you get used to the weather.

Check out the post AZCOM get in while you can. It will answer a lot of rotation questions and give you a even picture.

corona 247 said:
With the University of Chicago and Northwestern close by i thought the chances of possilby rotating their during 3 and 4th year would enhance your chances of completing a residency there....also, since CCOM has been around longer do you think that they have built stronger affiliations and relationships with a greater number and/or stronger potential residency programs for their students to goto?

If you want to stay in Chicago for residency CCOM would probably be a better idea since you will have more contacts and more ability to rotate at those places. I love AZCOM, and I'm glad I went here, but if you want to stay in Chicago for residency (which would be really easy - since there are a million residencies there) go to CCOM.

I have to agree with Kristing. I'm from Chicago and just spent my break there after my first quarter at AZCOM. If you like Chicago, plan to obtain a residency and/or work there, CCOM is better (IMHO).

However, if you are trying for a competitive residency and are willing to relocate in order to get into that field, AZCOM is probably better. Higher board scores (in general) and top notch pre-clinical training are going to be extremely helpful.

Climate is a short-term issue, but I sure am enjoying the sunshine, running in shorts this morning and playing outside vs. the bitter cold, horrible traffic and dreariness of Chicago this last week! Call is a perk :cool: