Azcom vs. Comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gocubs

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone-
I just got off the waitlist at Comp and am in quite a quandry. I really enjoyed AZcom and have been intent on going there but the lure of california is quite strong. I was wondering if anyone out there has any information that might help make my decision between the 2 a little more informed. I really want to practice Emergency medicine but i cant find either of the 2 schools match lists. Just was hoping some people could share their view on the 2 schools.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting into COMP...I was accepted at AZCOM too...so I know the feeling..

I chose COMP and I am leaving for L.A. this Tues from NY actually...

The point of this is....

I know there was a match listed posted for COMP..if you look at our original thread...
http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001216

Look through it...and the match list is there...sorry I can't be any more help...

Good Luck in your decision...

maybe we'll see you??

Check out the AZCOM web site, I believe there is a match list on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the link to the COMP 2001 match list by hospital. It's not specific to residency. http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001532

When I interviewed at COMP in November, the office personnel gave me both a list of 2000 internship/residency match, as well as their clinical affiliations. It is not current, but here are the matches of COMP 2000 graduates for Emergency Medicine:

(1) Botsford General Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI AOA Match
(2) UCLA/Kern Medical Center, Bakersfield, CA AOA match
(3) OUCOM/Doctors Hospital North, Columbus, OH AOA Match
(4) Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
(5) Ressurrection Medical Center, Chicago, IL
(6) Kern County Medical Center, Bakersfield, CA
(7) UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA
(8) Brooklyn Hospital, Brooklyn, NY

The list indicates it was revised 10/12/00.

I'll stay out of this to remain neutral but post up when you make a decision.

Dave

I had similar problem....had to choose between COMP and AZCOM and 3 more schools. I satisfatorily chose AZCOM even though I am from L.A. myself! What I really liked about AZCOM was the new campus, friendly community and excellent program as well as the board scores and subsequent match results. You must consider this personally and make a choice for yourself according to your own preferences and priorities. Here is the link for AZCOM's Class of 2001's Match results:
http://azcomstudents.org/html/match01.htm

....oh and by the way, one of my friends who is an AZCOM alumnus in the class of 2000 is now doing his ER residency at UCLA Medical ctr.

I hope this helps.

David B.

Thanks to all who posted. I have decided to go with Azcom. Will call Comp on monday and give up my seat. Cant wait to meet all you guys out in AZ. Thanks again.

All right gocubs! Welcome new classmate! Come on over to the AZCOM 2005 thread and introduce yourself! Also, don't forget to sign in on our class web site, which location is on roughgod's post. I also turned down a couple of schools (including allopathic) for AZCOM and can't wait to meet everyone! Great choice, and see you in August!

I'm a 2nd year COMP student and went to AZCOM to stay a couple nights for a sports medicine function. It was a joint venture with AZCOM students to give HS sports physicals. So we had to stay on campus and with students. I came away very impressed with the facilities and the student body.

The fact that's there are living quarters on campus helps to foster more togetherness among the class. I thought it would be really cool to live on campus with my classmates. The rent is cheaper out there, the facilities are new, and from what I hear the faculty is very supportive of the students. It seemed like the curriculum was set for AZCOM, and the students were satisfied with it. Also, keep in mind that COMP will be overhauling their curriculum in the next few years so there will be quirks here and there. If I had the choice, I'd go to AZCOM.

-Eric