AZCOM vs DMU deposits due in a couple of days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpMeDOcidePlease

Reaction score
Hello, I have been lucky enough to be accepted to two DO schools, and I am waiting on the results of 4 MD interviews.

I have worked as a surgical technologist for many years, and my main priority is being able to match General Surgery or ENT (ik ENT as a DO is unlikely)

DMU
Pros
  • Cheaper (still ~$402,028 COA)
  • 3 ENT last match, which indicates to me it is at least possible
Cons
  • Location? Colder, humid
  • Consistently matching less general surgery (Very well could just be class preference)
AZCOM
Pros
  • Location? I think I would like to live in a warmer environment in a more urban area, and my SO who is moving with me definitely would
  • Matches quite a few categorical general surgery spots per match (downside is there are a lot of surgery prelims too)
Cons
  • More Expensive (~$467,216 COA)
  • Heard a lot of negative things about this school in general
Summary: Overall, it is hard for me to justify attending a school with such a high COA and lesser odds of matching my desired specialty as someone who had high hopes going into this cycle with 3.8+ 517+. Thoughts about reapplying if none of the MD interviews pan out are welcome too.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU, no reason to spend extra. If AZCOM's cost of living estimate isn't accurate, you might spend even more considering how much more expensive it has gotten in the area.