AZCOM vs LECOM - Elmira

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotatoSauceTomato

Reaction score
Hi everyone, wondering I can get some input. Originally from NYC and prefer living in urban/suburban vibes. Aiming to do a competitive surgical specialty after graduating.

AZCOM
Pros
  • New state, seems more suburban vibe
  • Cadaver lab, which I would prefer over digital as I want as much experience as I can. Also am a very hands on learner and can see this helping my education.
  • More established as a site compared to Elmira
  • Matched multiple people into surgical specialities.

Cons
  • High tuition cost 80K a year
  • Insanely hot, I am not a fan of the heat
  • Would need to move across the country

LECOM - Elmira
Pros
  • Much cheaper tuition, 40K a year which is half of AZCOM
  • 4 hours away from home. Don’t plan on going home very often but being closer means I could drive. Don’t see this being a big factor
  • Being in the northeast means that there will be seasons and not just blazing heat

Cons
  • Graduated their first class this year. From what I gathered, there was no matches to the speciality im pursuing
  • The strict rules that LECOM is infamous for.
  • Virtual anatomy. See above

Summary: From NYC, save ~160K and stay close to home or move to Arizona. Looking to do a competitive surgical specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

as both are DO schools that have at least graduated 1 class and are eligible for federal loans, I would go with LECOM as it's much cheaper! I am not committed to any specialty yet though so for me, this would be an easier choice.

For what it’s worth… have a few friends at AZCOM and in their master’s program from NY and they all hate it here. It’s definitely a big change of speed, plus you’re in the Northwest part of Phoenix away from all the fun you may be seeing on social media. Like 30-40 minute drives. AZCOM does match some surgical specialty’s, but those students were the outliers (from what I hear from my friends in their class) who were research beasts. You can DM me if you want to know more (Masters graduate going into AZCOM this year with friends in both programs)