1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

AZCOM vs. LECOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by inku, Mar 30, 2000.

1. inku

inku New Member

I'm trying to decide whether I should go to LECOM or AZCOM. If anyone has oppinions or comments that could help me decide it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

AZCOM - there is NO comparison.

4. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I absolutely back up bobo. AZCOM is the better choice. Any school will teach you more that you can learn and give you the opportunity to earn the degree, but if you're lucky enough to have a choice go with the best one you can.

Call the admissions people and ask for some professor's phone numbers to talk to if you're still undecided. I did just that and actually got a return phone call from the dean of AZCOM just 2 hr after I called. You won't find that happening at many places. They are extremely student oriented, innovative and not afraid to change things that need "tweaking".

By the way - don't let the provisional accreditation issue be a concern. They have already had their final review by the AOA and the team told them "Wow, we leave here inspired". It's now a matter of getting the first graduating class out the door (in May) before it's 100% official.

I'm proud to be on their list to start this fall.

5. rowerman

rowerman Member
    10+ Year Member

LECOM

-ACCREDITED & ESTABLISHED
    -More hospital affiliations than AZCOM
    -High Board Scores
    -LECOM faculty also return calls...returned mine

Go ahead, give up your LECOM spot. They have quite a large alternate list of people eagerly waiting to jump into your spot. Just let both schools know ASAP.

6. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah go to AZCOM, that is where the sun is. I want your spot at LECOM.

7. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

LECOM!
    That's where I am going, and I live in Arizona.
    *High passage rate
    *Immediate response to phone calls
    *PBL w/ MBA component in the works
    *Superb clinical sites
    *Better area of town (AZCOM has a correctional facility just over the hill)
    *Class size
    Just my .02 worth.

8. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What a delicious decision it is chose WHICH medical school you want to attend. Tens of thousands of people will miss out on the opportunity to make into even one this year.

I'm sure both schools have their strong points and weak points. You should learn as much as possible each and go with the one that you think would suit you best.

True, LECOM is established, but for me, personally I would do much better in dry heat than heavy snow. Plus, I don't enjoy having to dress a certain way while sitting in class all day. That said, I surely would not let those 2 things keep me from going to school there.

In terms of board pass rates, check out the numbers for AZCOM: this past school year - 100% on the COMLEX step 1 and 2 and 100% on USMLE step 2 and 94.2% on USMLE step 1. Plus, the vast majority got their top choice for both matches (AOA & ACGME).

I don't live in AZ and can't speak about the correctional facility nearby (according to Thalamus); however, none of the med students I have talked to have had any unusual problems with crime. In fact, I thought the area surrounding the school was awesome (very close to a beautiful state park and golf course, yet a good 20 min from downtown Phoenix).

BTW, the class size is 125 for AZCOM and 144 for LECOM. Why should 144 be considered better than 125?

Again, both schools can do an excellent job in training you to become a competent physician. LECOM is established and AZCOM is up and coming. LECOM is in a smaller community and AZCOM is in an area of 1.2 million people. It snows at LECOM; it's dusty at AZCOM. You pick.

The main thing is that you're accepted and in 4 years will called "Dr. inku".

Good luck with the decision!

[This message has been edited by Mayqswet (edited 04-02-2000).]

9. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

LECOM was established in 1992. Not very far ahead of AZCOM, anyway everyone knows that AZCOM hasn't had any issues with accreditation.

AZCOM has high board scores as well.

Unless you called faculty at AZCOM this isn't really a valid comparison. Besides, who cares?

So far as location, PUHLEEEEZE!!!!!

AZCOM - sunny Arizona
    LECOM - dreary, economically depressed, cold, snowy Erie.

LECOM is a warehouse looking building set in between two other warehouse looking buildings. It is next to some not so desirable looking housing and wonderful Lake Erie.

AZCOM has a nice spread out campus with nice classrooms, basketball court, student housing, etc.

So far as better area of town, I can't say for certain since I only briefly visited each school. At the LECOM interview they told me there were crime problems in one of the complexes that a number of students tended to live in.

10. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Points well taken. You have the opportunity to make a choice. Look at all of the options and make the decision best for you.

As for the area, I have lived in Arizona all of my life and am also a professional realtor. Personally, I would not choose to live on the West side (where AZCOM is located)--most natives will tell you the same.Actually, there are 3 correctional facilities in that area, one very close (they post signs on the highway to not pick up hitchikers because of this) However, having said that, you will only be there a max of 4 years. If you live on campus (which is exquisite), things should be fine.
    Erie?
    The new construction begins in a few months. See Rowerman's post for details. The housing around LECOM? $130-500,000 depending upon which way you drive. Not too shabby. No prisons nearby.
    Weather? Over the last 20 years, the humidity has risen with the population. 115 degrees in July with humididty is killer. November through March is beautiful.
    Administration? Had an unfortunate incident with AZCOM--none with LECOM.
    Mayqswet is correct. Do your homework and select the one that meets your needs.

11. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Oops, sorry. Humidity.
    I am in the PBL program, so there are only 20 of us. Nice.
    Class size is what you make it. So is the education. Either school, you will reap what you sow. Plant well!! [​IMG]
    Inku--
    Ask AZCOM how many of their students rotate through Maricopa Medical, St. Joe's, Good Sam or Scottsdale/Mayo. These are the larger premier facilities in Maricopa County. That should help you out.

12. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

BTW, Bobo--
    What complex was it that the people in your LECOM interview told you had a crime problem? I hope it isn't the one that I have chosen:0

13. lucky7377

lucky7377 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

definitely agree with mayqsvet. i have interviewed at a few schools. liked azcom the best. their facilities....state of the art. new building. heard that they are building a new anatomy lab which should be ready this summer. on campus housing. I also like the way they select their students....more emphasis on personality. (their panel interview is a great idea.....i was scared at first but that was my best interview). glendale seemed kinda quiet too. i thought it was a retirement community. no one told me about prisons nor did i see any. only drwback so far are their clinical rotations....you have to go to these ambulatory sites....but hey thats what makes you an outstanding doctor.
    comments : [email protected]

14. rowerman

rowerman Member
    10+ Year Member

I hope you made your mind up already. People want you spots at both schools. Rotations and hospital affiliations are better at LECOM, proven. As I said earlier, fancy buildings will mean nothing when you don't have an established reputable program. See my post on LECOM's new buildings. I was accepted to both AZCOM and LECOM. LECOM is for me.

15. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

AZCOM will be accredited by the time you start so that should not be one of the reasons you decide not to attend.
    LECOM has a lower tuition and I believe that it is cheaper to live in Erie than in Phoenix.
    I found it difficult (and expensive) to fly into Erie, but very easy to fly to Phoenix.
    The first two years at both schools are similar (same courses, same amount of studying, etc.), the main difference between the two is the way that their clinicals are set up. AZCOM uses a preceptor based system, LECOM uses the more traditional approach.
    I know that there has been alot of discussion about the two in previous threads, so you may want to try searching for them.
    The choice is up to you, you will get a quality education at either school. Decide soon, though, why waste all that money making deposits??

16. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

LECOM also has panel interview and emphasized personality and community work.
    I second my colleague Rowerman. The new LECOM facilities are underway and the plans look spectacular. I have been to both schools--again, chose the best fit for you and move on.
    BTW Luck--with all of the great schools in Texas, why AZCOM?
    p.s.-go North over the hill to the Adobe Mtn. facility. Head West to see the others. Downtown Phx. has great night life, though!
    Oh, yes....Luck--I am female.

17. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Oops, sorry...'choose'.
    Bobo??? No response?
    Rowerman--Are you doing PBL? Have you found housing yet?

18. rowerman

rowerman Member
    10+ Year Member

Thalamus-

No PBL for me, had the offer but declined. Don't want to be the guinea pig, current friends up there said to stay away from the program. I'm more of a traditionalist anyway. No housing yet, but I'll probably just land one of my friend's places.

19. lucky7377

lucky7377 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Many apologies to Thalamus.
    I haven't been to LECOM so i am biased i guess. Good Luck with your future endeavors.

Nav...how is it going?

20. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Luck-
    No need for apologies. Guess I never really identified myself as such [​IMG]My bad!
    Rowerman-
    See you soon!!
    Nav--
    I love ya buddy! How's the house hunting going? Keep in touch!
    M.

21. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Bobo???????
    Still no response?

22. Nav

Nav Member
    10+ Year Member

Inku, have you decided yet?

Lucky, Thalamus, I just e-mailed both of you, got the housing all straightened out. I hope those escaped convicts don't come kill me while I'm studying!!!!

23. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

To Rowerman:

"Rotations and hospital affiliations are better at LECOM, proven."

Proven by who? Was there a scientific study undertaken? Making unsubstantiated statements like this is silly. Just because you like LECOM so much is no reason to put down other schools (AZCOM, PCOM) - while stating that you turned them down to attend LECOM [​IMG]

Thalamus:

I cannot tell you what the name of the complex is, only that students lived there and there was some question as to living there. The information was given by a female third year student. I think she lived there, so it must not have been such a big deal. Probably break ins, maybe an assault. Thing is, stuff like this happens everywhere. My bike was stolen yesterday off my front porch [​IMG]

24. mikegriffen

mikegriffen New Member

anywhere but LECOM!!

25. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

okay you guys----
    how are you attaching those cute little animated faces to your strings??????

Bobo--sadly, you are correct. Crime occurs daily in America. Sorry to hear about your bike. Was it locked up?

inku-
    have you decided?

26. OldFart

OldFart Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thalamus,
    Looking forward to working with you in PBL. Got a question for you, in your apartment search did you happen to run across any with a washer and dryer. Also, glad to hear there are no prisons in the area. Thanks.

27. inku

inku New Member

i just wanted to let everybody know that i've decided to go with azcom.

28. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

does anyone have any opinions on the PBL program at LECOM, I am trying to decide.

29. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

No, I didn't see any with the machines included within the unit. Several complexes did have coin op laundry rooms on site, though.
    Scenery Hills, Lake View and Willow Wood all have attached garages and inside laudry. Pastore developers just left me a message saying they also had a single level come available with the laundry room inside the house--nice!--however it is 756/mo.
    Hope that helps [​IMG]
    See you at orientation on the 2nd!

30. OldFart

OldFart Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow --- $756/month --- I thought Erie was supposed to be CHEAP!! I think I will do my laundry in the bath tub!

31. OldFart

OldFart Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Please excuse my manners, after recovering from the sticker shock, I realized I forgot to say thank you for the help.

32. Thalamus

Thalamus Member
    10+ Year Member

Old Fart--
    Willow Wood has a few units for 580/mo (2bdr.2ba with laundry rooms sans machines in the basement)
    Lake View is newer and has essentially the same set ups but is only 1.1 miles from the school, has a workout room and is 650/mo (laundry room is accessible from inside the house, Willow Wood you have to walk through the garage to get into the laundry).
    The single levels are more expensive because they have 2 car garages and are more like houses.
    I did find a few houses in the 600 range with 2bdr/2ba., but they were up off of 26th and about 3 blocks from the lake.
    The cheaper apts. (4-500) have street parking and coin-op laundry. If you don't mind that, then look into Lovell or Landmark.
    When are you arriving?
    My husband and I are driving in on the 29th or 30th.
    Email me if you need any other help.

33. INKDOG

INKDOG New Member

hey thalamus,
    i am starting lecom this summer and will be looking for an apartment on june 2. i was wondering if you could give me some advise on apartments. you can email me at [email protected] i would appreciate it.

ink

34. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Anyone else still holding AZCOM and not going? Open up those seats please....would love to take a spot there.

35. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just FYI,

I was in Phoenix last weekend looking for housing. Several first-year students told me that they to have PBL in a good chunk of thier biochemistry class. It's definitely not a majority of their classes, but I imagine that most progressive schools incorporate at least some PBL.