AZCOM vs. PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been pretty set on AZCOM since I was accepted in early November, but today I got an interview at PCOM. I've been told by several different people that PCOM's reputation is well above any other DO school. I loved a lot of things about AZCOM and even though I am a little weary of the rotation situation, I really don't think they would take on the bigger class size without working it all out. Other than the obvious differences in location/climate does anyone have any feedback about either school? I already decided to go to the PCOM interview to learn more on my own, but I can tell this is going to be a very hard decision for me, that is if I get accepted to PCOM :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

You're already on the right track by checking out PCOM and "learning more on your own". :thumbup: Go where you feel you're the best fit. People will argue school advantages/disadvantages all day; what matters in the end is where you fit best and how well you perform. Period.

You're already on the right track by checking out PCOM and "learning more on your own". :thumbup: Go where you feel you're the best fit. People will argue school advantages/disadvantages all day; what matters in the end is where you fit best and how well you perform. Period.

I agree with him.
But, personally, I'd choose PCOM any day over AZCOM. After my interview at AZCOM, I was concerned about their clinical issues. But, that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose AZCOM but that's because my husband really really doesn't like cold. Well and for other reasons but that's one of the main ones. I think you're doing the right thing by going to the interview. I wouldn't worry about making the decision until after you accepted at PCOM. By the way, and I don't mean to be rude, but unless you're tired it's wary. Soooooo many people on this board say weary instead. I even know a DO who always says weary instead of wary and honestly it drives me crazy. Okay I'm done. Sorry.:oops:

Thank you for the input! I guess I'll just wait it out, but I'm just trying to anticipate all possibilities. Not being cocky thinking I'm "in" already!

Oh and thanks for weary/wary tip eel :thumbup:

By the way, and I don't mean to be rude, but unless you're tired it's wary. Soooooo many people on this board say weary instead. I even know a DO who always says weary instead of wary and honestly it drives me crazy. Okay I'm done. Sorry.:oops:

Ha Ha. you just totally made me laugh. I don't think I've ever seen you correct someone's spelling/grammar before. You sounded like such a mom!

The their and there and here and hear on this board just get to me. I see it so much on these boards that it can't just be thoughtless mistakes. Those things were pounded so hard into me in elementary that I don't know how I could ever mix them up.

Ha Ha. you just totally made me laugh. I don't think I've ever seen you correct someone's spelling/grammar before. You sounded like such a mom!

The their and there and here and hear on this board just get to me. I see it so much on these boards that it can't just be thoughtless mistakes. Those things were pounded so hard into me in elementary that I don't know how I could ever mix them up.

Those that t-funk mentioned are worthy of note. The most annoying for me is the "definately" crap. There are also other variations but it's definitely annoying. :D

Oh - and the "your" used in place of "you're" on a regular basis - but it's OK because it's the new text msging phenomenon, right? Whatever.

Choose PCOM...hands down.

I didn't apply there...simply because I couldn't imagine myself happy in Philly...but the school itself has an incredible reputation for everything -- including student support. However, I've seen more than a few people complain about AZCOM with regards to just that.

Just think of how much more stability you'll have going to a school with a long history and tradition.

If you are looking on school quality and reputation alone, I would go with PCOM. That said, I interviewed at AZCOM but declined my interview at PCOM. That decision was made because of my husband and where we could both be happy. He's a wildlife biologist who has lived in the rural west his whole life. He was willing to move to Philly for me, but I know he wouldn't have been happy there at all. Thus...we are headed to KCOM this coming august.

You should do research and go where you are the most comfortable.

I'm just kidding: pick PCOM.

You should do research and go where you are the most comfortable.

I'm just kidding: pick PCOM.
laugh.gif

PCOM for the reasons everyone else mentioned in this thread and on SDN everytime someone asks PCOM vs whateverCOM?

More importantly make sure you do well on Step 1.

I once met a resident who was an AZCOM alum. She mentioned that she spent all her 3rd and 4th year in an outpatient settings and that residency (internal medicine) was her first time in an inpatient experience :eek::scared:

Of course that was more than a few years ago since she was a med student on clinical rotation - but I sure hope things have changed.

(before anyone attacks me, she was a great resident and great clinicians. And AZCOM have good matches every year, with many students matching at wonderful places).

Definitely choose AZCOM there is no question about it. They have organic food there and hookahs and those things are not allowed in Philadelphia ;)