AZCOM vs Western COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brosephlol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry to make a thread like this, but I sincerely need some input on deciding where to go/place my 1k deposit right now. Obviously there are pros and cons to both and every school, and everybody's preferences. I just want to know what you guys think (current medical students that would be awesome!)

I really liked AZCOM's environment and campus. I'm a huge fan of how "lively" the campus was at my visit. If I lived near Phoenix, the choice would be a no-brainer. I wasn't fond of Western's campus, but I hear good things about their rotations. Obviously that is more important for me in the long run.

Western COMP

Pros:
-Close to home, family etc.
-Tuition a tad cheaper
-More opportunities for ward based rotations/ better rotations (?)

Cons:
-Area is not so great
-Cost of living is high
-Campus in my opinion is kind of run down...seems like a commuter school

AZCOM

Pros:
-Beautiful campus
-Solid first 2 years
-On campus housing, cheap!

Cons:
-Hot
-Primarily preceptor based rotations (not a very good vibe from 3rd/4th years)
-High tuition
-Rural rotation ?

Obviously a short list but a fraction of the things that came to mind. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

here is more on AZCOM http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962438 .

choose the school you felt fit you more, when you visited each campus which school felt more like home? You don't seem to be leaning towards one or the other more but I think they are both great schools and it's a matter of what you want out of a med school.

Hey guys,

Sorry to make a thread like this, but I sincerely need some input on deciding where to go/place my 1k deposit right now. Obviously there are pros and cons to both and every school, and everybody's preferences. I just want to know what you guys think (current medical students that would be awesome!)

I really liked AZCOM's environment and campus. I'm a huge fan of how "lively" the campus was at my visit. If I lived near Phoenix, the choice would be a no-brainer. I wasn't fond of Western's campus, but I hear good things about their rotations. Obviously that is more important for me in the long run.

Western COMP

Pros:
-Close to home, family etc.
-Tuition a tad cheaper
-More opportunities for ward based rotations/ better rotations (?)

Cons:
-Area is not so great
-Cost of living is high
-Campus in my opinion is kind of run down...seems like a commuter school

AZCOM

Pros:
-Beautiful campus
-Solid first 2 years
-On campus housing, cheap!

Cons:
-Hot
-Primarily preceptor based rotations (not a very good vibe from 3rd/4th years)
-High tuition
-Rural rotation ?

Obviously a short list but a fraction of the things that came to mind. What do you guys think?

Between these 2 options I'd go with western. The rotations arn't amazing.... but they're adequate, and most of my rotations have been inpatient where you actually see sick patients. But, I have no idea what azcom's rotations are like... maybe they're just as good?
I agree the campus looks hideous, the color scheme, the creepy, tacky looking statues, the whole vibe of the place.... but this shouldn't matter when choosing schools. The aesthetics of the place has no bearing on your education.
So, to sum it up, I'd go with western because it's cheaper (just barely...), and has decent enough rotations (with a few major exceptions.. ;)).

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-Med is too soon to know what field you will choose in 3 or so years. So pay close attention to the recent years' Match Lists when you make your decision. Western U places students in residencies in both high quality primary care medicine and specialties throughout the country. The school's reputation appears well acknowledged by residency program directors across the US. The graduates seem to excel out of school and open doors for the students that follow.

Good luck.

Between these 2 options I'd go with western. The rotations arn't amazing.... but they're adequate, and most of my rotations have been inpatient where you actually see sick patients. But, I have no idea what azcom's rotations are like... maybe they're just as good?
I agree the campus looks hideous, the color scheme, the creepy, tacky looking statues, the whole vibe of the place.... but this shouldn't matter when choosing schools. The aesthetics of the place has no bearing on your education.
So, to sum it up, I'd go with western because it's cheaper (just barely...), and has decent enough rotations (with a few major exceptions.. ;)).

As another western student.....:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate it :thumbup:

Western has good affiliation with Arrowhead which is a pretty busy facility with some of the better DO residencies. Other than the CoL, I personally find CA to be a much better state than AZ- granted it's Pomona. Rancho Cucamunga, Yoba Linda and other surrounding areas are nice, but so is Pomona if you use some common sense.

Western has good affiliation with Arrowhead which is a pretty busy facility with some of the better DO residencies. Other than the CoL, I personally find CA to be a much better state than AZ- granted it's Pomona. Rancho Cucamunga, Yoba Linda and other surrounding areas are nice, but so is Pomona if you use some common sense.

:thumbup:
Just stay north of the 10 fwy. LOL

I'm totally biased to Western because it's my hometown and I worked at Arrowhead for many years and really miss it. You'll see some crazy stuff there.

Personally, I would choose Western. Nothing beats California, to me. However, if we're going to talk about match lists, AZCOM has done pretty well these past few years. Last year, probably the most impressive one out of all DO schools reported here on SDN.