azeotrope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizza1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly is an Azeotrope in the simplest terms? Its this fancy name for some mixture that doesn't distill ....What is the logic behind this? I cant wrap my head around this concept

Members don't see this ad.

An azeotrope is a mixture of two or more liquids whose proportions cannot be altered by simple distillation. This happens because, when an azeotrope is boiled, the vapor has the same proportions of constituents as the unboiled mixture

literally just googled the word "Azeotrope"...

An azeotrope is a mixture of two or more liquids whose proportions cannot be altered by simple distillation. This happens because, when an azeotrope is boiled, the vapor has the same proportions of constituents as the unboiled mixture

literally just googled the word "Azeotrope"...

yeah I know that....but I still dont get it. why would they have the same proportions of consituents? why do these even exist.....as in do they offer some benefit or are they just random solutions that occur randomly....

Azeotropes exist as an explanation (or terminology) for non-ideal mixtures. Remember that Raoult's law says that each component of a mixture produces it's own specific effects on that mixture, and that all of these effects can be summed together (ex. vapor pressure of the total mixture). However, azeotropes take into consideration what happens when this is not the case - when the mixture is not ideal. For instance, after myriad distillations you may be left with a product that is not entirely pure but that can not be made any "more pure" by continual distillation because the product acts as a pure liquid - this is an azeotrope.

Azeotropes exist as an explanation (or terminology) for non-ideal mixtures. Remember that Raoult's law says that each component of a mixture produces it's own specific effects on that mixture, and that all of these effects can be summed together (ex. vapor pressure of the total mixture). However, azeotropes take into consideration what happens when this is not the case - when the mixture is not ideal. For instance, after myriad distillations you may be left with a product that is not entirely pure but that can not be made any "more pure" by continual distillation because the product acts as a pure liquid - this is an azeotrope.

yeah I think I get it now! Thanks :)