B in Stats -> More Advanced Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a B in a stats class my freshman year. Obviously there's nothing wrong with a B in and of itself, but I was wondering if it might be worth it to take the math sequence through a class in Linear Algebra, just to show that I have strong quantitative abilities. I got A's in one-variable differential and integral calc classes, and am currently taking MV calc. Linear Algebra would be the next class in the math sequence. I do kind of like math, but taking an extra math class would put some strain on my workload. Worth it or no? Not MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: not worth it.

Long answer: as long as you have the required courses, have a good GPA and show you can handle a med school course load you’re fine. Beyond that, you should enjoy college and take whatever classes make you happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth it, although if you're taking multivariable calc (Calc 3?), you would probably find linear algebra a lot easier.

multivariable was fun as heck but I don't remember a thing from it. That's math; it comes to you when you are familiarizing with concept but nt when you randomly want to remember it.

Hi all,

I got a B in a stats class my freshman year. Obviously there's nothing wrong with a B in and of itself, but I was wondering if it might be worth it to take the math sequence through a class in Linear Algebra, just to show that I have strong quantitative abilities. I got A's in one-variable differential and integral calc classes, and am currently taking MV calc. Linear Algebra would be the next class in the math sequence. I do kind of like math, but taking an extra math class would put some strain on my workload. Worth it or no? Not MD/PhD.

As much as I hate saying it, i wouldn't recommend taking linear algebra. It's good that you like math and quantitative analysis, but for your intents, it's not worth it since linear algebra can be more damaging and difficult than you expect.

If you want to, go for it. Undergrad may be the last time in your life you ever get to explore advanced mathematics, so it might be very worth it for you if it's an interest you have, and could be worth the pressed course load.

If you're doing it to somehow make up for your freshman B or show adcomms how smart you are, you really, really, really don't need to.

Well the good news is that basic statistics has absolutely nothing to do with Linear Algebra.

Linear Algebra is probably completely useless for med purposes (you will probably never need to know how to calculate an eigenvalue or find a null space) but has many applications in fields like CS and engineering.