[B]Thinking prosthodontics[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

huskerchild

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a strong interest in pros, especially to go into academics. Can anyone give me any information on programs, the application process, what grades it will take to get in, etc. I will start applying this fall and wanted some advice.
 
huskerchild said:
I have a strong interest in pros, especially to go into academics. Can anyone give me any information on programs, the application process, what grades it will take to get in, etc. I will start applying this fall and wanted some advice.




Hey Husker,

First off I'm in Pedo---but best friend is in Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help----so that is a plus for you. Prosth. is a field where a solid GPA and good boards will do. It's relative but a 3.3+ and high 80s boards should be competetive at most school----especially with your desire to go academic. Obviously some schools are better and demand more. My friend is at Iowa and it is definitely a demanding residency but he loves it. He had over 90 on boards with a 3.6. Make sure you have a great D4 year--assuming you are D3----Take as many difficult cases as you can----take pictures, put together a portfolio of cases and get some good letter of recommendations.


Dr.B
 
Dr.2b said:
Hey Husker,

First off I'm in Pedo---but best friend is in Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help----so that is a plus for you. Prosth. is a field where a solid GPA and good boards will do. It's relative but a 3.3+ and high 80s boards should be competetive at most school----especially with your desire to go academic. Obviously some schools are better and demand more. My friend is at Iowa and it is definitely a demanding residency but he loves it. He had over 90 on boards with a 3.6. Make sure you have a great D4 year--assuming you are D3----Take as many difficult cases as you can----take pictures, put together a portfolio of cases and get some good letter of recommendations.


Dr.B

Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help


true. most pros depts only have a couple of full time facululty unlike say perio, as most are in private outside. so if you want to be involved in academia stating so would be a big plus. see if you can attend 1 or 2 pros seminars, talks.
 
huskerchild said:
I have a strong interest in pros, especially to go into academics. Can anyone give me any information on programs, the application process, what grades it will take to get in, etc. I will start applying this fall and wanted some advice.

check out what i wrote in reply to 12year old kids qs. re pros on the studnet forum