BA vs BA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs37982

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current 2nd years student at UT, undeclared pre-pharm. I didn't get into pharmacy school this cycle, so I was planning on declaring a major.

I was thinking about declaring a BA in Biology so I could obtain a degree within the next year with hopes I would get into pharmacy school next year. Do you think that pharmacy school admission committees would look down on the fact that I'm getting a BA, when compared to student aiming for a BS? My parents are worried the admissions committee will favor students working for a BS over someone with a BA, but I don't think that will be a major deciding factor with the rest of my application in consideration. The reason I was looking at the BA for biology was so I could finish it next year, vs a BS where I probably would need an extra semester or two and therefore wouldn't finish it if I got accepted to pharmacy school. (I don't mean to sound egotistical, but I'm confident I'll get in next year, especially if I expand the number of schools I'm applying to - with my stats, and what I'll do to improve next year, I KNOW I will get in somewhere - I just made the mistake this year of not applying to more schools). I don't feel like the admissions people would be like "3.9 GPA, 95 PCAT, work experience... ooh, he's got a BA, tsk tsk" -- that seems unlikely to me. Plus, I think having a BA before entering the pharm curriculum is a big plus. Any thoughts?

Would you recommend getting a BA vs a BS for someone trying to get into pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People with psychology, philosophy or liberal arts degrees get into pharmacy schools. As long as you like what you majored in, you can get in.

Most people wanted to get their BS (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) in case pharmacy school didn't pan out. There are always jobs in the industry for these type of degrees.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into and SET yourself apart from other applicants.

I'm a current 2nd years student at UT, undeclared pre-pharm. I didn't get into pharmacy school this cycle, so I was planning on declaring a major.

I was thinking about declaring a BA in Biology so I could obtain a degree within the next year with hopes I would get into pharmacy school next year. Do you think that pharmacy school admission committees would look down on the fact that I'm getting a BA, when compared to student aiming for a BS? My parents are worried the admissions committee will favor students working for a BS over someone with a BA, but I don't think that will be a major deciding factor with the rest of my application in consideration. The reason I was looking at the BA for biology was so I could finish it next year, vs a BS where I probably would need an extra semester or two and therefore wouldn't finish it if I got accepted to pharmacy school. (I don't mean to sound egotistical, but I'm confident I'll get in next year, especially if I expand the number of schools I'm applying to - with my stats, and what I'll do to improve next year, I KNOW I will get in somewhere - I just made the mistake this year of not applying to more schools). I don't feel like the admissions people would be like "3.9 GPA, 95 PCAT, work experience... ooh, he's got a BA, tsk tsk" -- that seems unlikely to me. Plus, I think having a BA before entering the pharm curriculum is a big plus. Any thoughts?

Would you recommend getting a BA vs a BS for someone trying to get into pharmacy school?

The type of degree you get doesn't really come into play that much at all. What is more important is how well you do in your classes and how active you are outside of class. What I would recommend is to hunker down on your studies and do well in whatever area you feel like going into. If anything getting a degree in something outside of the top 3 (Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry) can help set you apart from the rest of the applicants and give you something unique (and memorable) to talk about during your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say it doesn't make that much of a difference. I was on track of getting at BS from UT and after 3 years, I changed to BA for my last year at UT. As long as you have a good resume, the difference between a BA and BS should not make that much of a difference.

BA = Bad Ass degree ; BS = Bull **** degree

I had a person once say this to me. It took all the strength and willpower not to cave that person's face in and beat him to a pulp.

I assume that you're a pre-pharm student, judging by your name PharmLife4Me. I really don't care if you were trolling or not, but learn some respect. People like you really make me question who I could potentially be working with in the future. You wouldn't want someone making fun of the major accomplishments in your life, would you?

I had a person once say this to me. It took all the strength and willpower not to cave that person's face in and beat him to a pulp.

I assume that you're a pre-pharm student, judging by your name PharmLife4Me. I really don't care if you were trolling or not, but learn some respect. People like you really make me question who I could potentially be working with in the future. You wouldn't want someone making fun of the major accomplishments in your life, would you?

I assume that you are mad by the response to my facetious comment. I don't know what trolling is, but it sounds like this type of terminology is being used in the wrong circumstances. If you want to talk about trolling, go to the Bass Fishing Forums. Here is a link in case you are unable to locate it " http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums ". Also, if it makes you feel any better.... I have a B.S. degree :eek: Go complain somewhere else :thumbup:.

I assume that you are mad by the response to my facetious comment. I don't know what trolling is, but it sounds like this type of terminology is being used in the wrong circumstances. If you want to talk about trolling, go to the Bass Fishing Forums. Here is a link in case you are unable to locate it " http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums ". Also, if it makes you feel any better.... I have a B.S. degree :eek: Go complain somewhere else :thumbup:.

I'm gonna let you go easy today, since I feel particularly kind and generous and don't wanna be subject to having my account banned or put on hold.

But do me a favor; be nice to SDN and grow up a little bit, if that's not too much to ask.