Baby in DPT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foggyforver2000

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting DPT school this Fall. I'm turning 31 this year and have been thinking about this a lot. It's a huge commitment and I'll be nearly 34 by the time I'm done. I'm wondering if anyone has done it or know if it's possible. I want to be a DPT more than anything but I'm wondering if I'm giving up the chance to be a mom if I go down this road.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely is done, but definitely not easy. How hard probably depends on the support you have. People I know did it in different ways- some planned to have the baby at the end of a term, so maybe took finals a bit early or late, and then had a few weeks of break and were back in class. This seemed the harder option. Others did it during/between clinicals, where they were able to take a couple months, though then they graduated late. Others just were due right after graduation. I think if you want a baby now, you make it work.

I graduated at 36 and had a baby right after. Many of my classmates also had kids immediately after graduation. Def not too late for you at 34! I will say, that unless your school has a non traditional setup, it's very difficult mostly because there is literally NO maternity leave in PT school. You have to be back at school or at clinical within days or you may run the risk of having to roll back. But that said, many schools absolutely will let you roll back a year for circumstances like those. I'm a huge advocate of maternity leave and taking time with newborn, it wasn't something I understood well until I was in that position. You can def make it work, but the road is difficult too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no advice to give but I’m 33 and starting my program in the fall (at age 34). My husband and I have decided to wait until after I graduate which means I’ll be 37 before we start trying.
I’m terrified that my age will make getting pregnant difficult and at risk. But at the same time I don’t think I could make it through school with an infant. I had to make the choice.
So you’re not alone.

I am 29 with two kids and (11 and 1 year old) and my husband and I were thinking of having another baby. I was actually pregnant through my masters degree and finished on time, but it definitely depends on your support system for sure. In my case we hired a nanny and that worked out for us. My son now is in daycare so I wouldn’t mind being pregnant during PT school and then having a stay at home nanny again. This is definitely a pricier option but in my case my family would contribute to those expenses. Nonetheless I am positive it will be difficult because we don’t know if the pregnancy will be smooth with no complications. All I can say that is when you become a mom you will develop super powers to get things done

For me it really depends on how you make things takes its place. Having a kid while schooling is a bit hard but you know, it's worth it.