bachelor's from berkeley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preppyaznboy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had a strange thought this morning. i never really gave it much thought, but does anyone know if having a bachelor's of art from berkeley in molecular cell biology hurts your chances of going to med school. it's not really a science degree, but not really a humanities degree. i know everyone says that what you major in really doesnt matter, it just matters how well you did. i'm just trying to reason out why im not getting any interviews :(

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think it has anything to do with ur major. GPA/MCAT might be the problem?

haha dude......

the BA in MCB is NOT what is keeping you from getting interviews.
Berkeley students get in everywhere. The schools know about the BA in MCB. We have a hard ass MCB program so its not that its disrespected.

now most likely something else is teh reason why you arent getting any invites.

potential red flags...

gpa
mcat
ecs
bad lors
late applicant

i dunno man. you should review your stuff to find a better reason than looking at whether its the BA that is holding you back. i have a MCB degree and I am getting invites from schools so its not that.

good luck tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
major has almost nothing to do with admissions. it can never hurt you, it can only not help you if at the interview you cant find anything interesting to talk about.

Plenty of Berkeley MCB people have gone on to top tier medical schools.

no sympathy, huh?... pre-meds/med students are vicious here!

I dont think we are vicious at all....we are just offering you plain straight facts. Please do not take it the wrong way....:)

Originally posted by preppyaznboy

haha are you serious???

you can call me vicious haha (tho i dont think i am) but people like gleevec who responded are in no way vicious.

pinkertinkle has a nemo avatar i think. no fan of nemo is vicious.

but seriously man. it has absolutely nothing to do with that.
hope you hear from someone soon. its still only november. relatively early.

"I need a flower seat, cause this flower is wilting..." King of the Hill.

Are you an august mcater? That makes a big difference. I just got this email from johnshopkins and they said my files complete. After a month and half of completion. Some schools are slower than others, which schools did you apply to, maybe applying to more helps?

Also maybe if your mcats are low you should consider retaking, or if your gpa's low you should consider staying an extra semester or two or maybe doing a postbach. Berkeley's hard so you might want to start studying earlier for finals and the sort.

I still can't believe UCdavis gave me a rejection four days after writing that hard ass secondary which took me a freaking week.

I don't think that anyone's being intentionally harsh here. Major just really doesn't matter -- I got in with degrees in ridiculous liberal arts things. Absolutely NO ONE is going to care about a BS versus a BA in a science.

as long as we are on this subject...why does the department of mcb at berkeley award BA degrees instead of the BS?

All majors in the School of Letters and Science get BA degrees. However, the school is considering giving B.S. degrees and I recieved an email about this earlier.

because BA degrees rules and noone wants a BS degree ;)

mine is legit.:D

Even people with physics degrees from Berkeley got BA degrees, which is really an insult to most of the science majors in college of letters and sciences. UCB should really re-evaluate this pathetic system of degree assignment.

Originally posted by Retro
Even people with physics degrees from Berkeley got BA degrees, which is really an insult to most of the science majors in college of letters and sciences. UCB should really re-evaluate this pathetic system of degree assignment.

never bothered most of the people that i have talked to.
they got a degree from berkeley and thats all that matters and what other schools care about.

BA? BS?
Boxers? Briefs?
As long it protects me from the zipper doesnt matter.

:D

Originally posted by Retro

Physics requires 7 lower division classes (three physics classes and four math classes) and 8 upper division classes. Only one upper division required course has a lab component--Phys 111.

MCB, likewise, only requires one upper division lab course. Ther are more lower division requirements, but they are less intense than physics. MCB has about 7 upper division classes required (depending on the focus).

By contrast, the Plant and Microbial Biology BS require 4 or 5 upper division lab classes. Chemical engineering has 4 lab classes in the department, plus requires 2 upper division O-chem classes and EECS 100 with a lab. Both ChemE and PMB require a lower division programming class. Lab is central to science. Contrary to popular belief, science is defined by observation, not math.

Of course, neither PMB nor ChemE require a foreign language, or any of that 7-course breadth crap that L & S requires of everybody. I don't understand what everyone is pissed about on this issue.

Originally posted by jlee9531
never bothered most of the people that i have talked to.
they got a degree from berkeley and thats all that matters and what other schools care about.

BA? BS?
Boxers? Briefs?
As long it protects me from the zipper doesnt matter.

:D

Briefs can get you laughed at with some women. I'm glad I switched to boxers before learning that the hard way!

Originally posted by Nutmeg
Briefs can get you laughed at with some women. I'm glad I switched to boxers before learning that the hard way!

haha well i didnt want to diss the briefers on here.
you know how it is with the PC and all that jazz.

Originally posted by preppyaznboy

... and that's exactly why your not getting any interviews... you think the world is against you. But what I said doesn't make any sense, because I'm against you too.

Trust me, if people can get BA in Art, take the pre-med prereqs, and get in, then a MCB from Berkeley is not going to hurt. Read previous posters for intelligent 'objective' advise.

Smile... the World Sucks... and it ain't gonna change. :)

i don't like the sound of MCB BS.
Though I thought it was bs... crappy classes taught by 3 professors each. Those lazy focks.

anyway, don't feel depressed. I'm probably the worst of the worst: late applicant, low gpa, 2 ec's, average lors, average mcat.

I'm waiting for the rejections to start rollin in.
This degree aint gonna do jack for me.

haha... i liked having 3 profs for bio 1a and 1b.

you never get tired of them. tho my 3 were pretty good so i wouldnt mind having any one of them for a whole year. im just glad i didnt get tijian.

but yeah nice to see a change every once in a while.