Bachelors in Biology= (2.59) 88 Post Bacc credits= 3.82

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duplarara

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow readers and opinion givers. So here is my story:

I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Biology back in 2009. My graduating overall gpa was a 2.59. The first two years is what really screwed me over.

After I graduated, I thought to myself. Screw it...I'm retaking every single class that I did poorly in. (ie Gen Chem, Orgo, Micro, Gen Bio, Genetics, A n P). I ended up taking 88 credits after my bachelors. My gpa for those credits is a 3.82. Science gpa 3.76. I then thought to myself, why not try PA school because I didnt think I was good enough for medical school. I then got my CNA certification and started working in several hospitals to get experience. On top of that experience, I had been a translator for a medical missions organization since I was 13 years old. I grew up on the mission field in Guatemala. I have over 6000 hours of patient care experience with hundreds of hours of volunteer work.

I also took the GRE and got a 305. (152 verbal, 149 quant. and a 4.0 on analytical writing).

So with that being said....I applied to PA schools last year and got denied by all three. Their reasoning was that my CUMULATIVE gpa was barely a 3.0! CASPA averages everything out. I just applied again to 7 schools and have already been denied by 3. They state that even though my application is competitive, they wouldnt even give me a chance to interview. A trend is forming.

So my question to you all this is...should I forget the whole PA route and instead try to get into medical school? Should I instead focus on taking the MCAT? Should I even consider medical school?
I am 29 years old, going on 30 in September. I currently work at an OR in downtown Harrisburg PA.

Members don't see this ad.

You may have a chance for DO schools. The first step would be to take the MCAT after your practice scores are consistently over 500. Also shadow DO physicians since you may need a DO LOR. If you have the time take a few courses at a local college (community college is fine) to raise your GPA slightly. You want your sGPA and cGPA to both be above 3.0 .

Faha, what about research experience? I have no research experience. I only have patient care experience. Would that be an influential factor in my medical school application denial?

Members don't see this ad :)
Patient care experience is much more important than research unless you are applying to schools such as Harvard or Stanford. Research experience will not matter for most DO schools.

DO does grade replacement. Your GPA is probably OK for DO.

FOCUS ON MCAT and kill it, and apply ONLY to DO schools, every one of them