Bachelors in Science??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannabeaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI PEOPLE :cool:

I AM CURRENTLY ATTENDING AN UNIV. AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE POTENTIAL OUTCOME OF GETTING A BACHELORS IN SCIENCE IF I DO NOT GET ACCEPTED INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL?
WOULD I HAVE TO GET ANOTHER DEGREE TO GET A JOB? AND WHAT TYPE OF JOBS DO PEOPLE GET WITH A B.S.?:confused:
THXS!

Members don't see this ad.

You could work in a lab as a research assistant. You could become a pharmaceutical rep. If you take educational credits in undergrad, you could be a teacher. You can always consider the degree to be a springboard to other health professions too: pharmacy, dental, podiatric med, optometry, PT, OT, etc (which need another degree).

if you can draw and like to draw there's also Medical Illustration which you can get a 2 yr masters in after BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
fyi typing in all caps means you're shouting.

go see an adviser at your school, either for your major or for all majors. find out what jobs new grads from your major are getting. do an internship in the industry you want to be in.

WELL, I GOT A B.S. DEGREE IN B.S. SO I WENT THROUGH AN ALTERNATIVE PROGRAM TO BECOME A TEACHER.

Ok, enough with the caps. I taught for a couple years, worked off and on as a paramedic which was a course of study unrelated to my bachelor's, and I later moved into law enforcement. Oddly enough, I was HEAVILY recruited for jobs in the "financial services industry." No clue why. Maybe it happens to everybody. I was also sought after once for a job with the Social Security Administration which I kind of regret not taking. Federal wages and benefits are mighty enticing. :confused: Like most college grads, unless your degree is in a professional area you probably won't be working in a field that has anything to do with your degree. I know a lot of liberal arts majors stocking shelves at Walmart. No offense intended. I don't think those B.A.'s English and Sociology was ever intended for "inventory control." They were just a way to become educated which is what your B.S. is.

On another note, I (due to dollar signs from being a lowly cop) applied for a job working at a lab at an area chemical plant once. They offered me the job, but after being oriented I backed out. I felt like a jerk, but it just screamed boredom to me. Plus I grew up around people that worked out there and they always stunk.

Sorry for writing in caps, but I'm not yelling:)
Thanks everyone for the great answers.