Back Problems as a Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavsFanForLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any dentist out there every experience chronic back pain, and if so how have you dealt with it/prevented it from getting worse? I will be starting dental school next fall and honestly sometimes experience lower back pain after strenuous exercise. i've always played sports, worked out, and I am in pretty good shape but still worry about my career being hindered due to back pain. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Stretch, exercise, therapy, and maintain good ergonomics when you practice and you'll be fine.

Any dentist out there every experience chronic back pain, and if so how have you dealt with it/prevented it from getting worse? I will be starting dental school next fall and honestly sometimes experience lower back pain after strenuous exercise. i've always played sports, worked out, and I am in pretty good shape but still worry about my career being hindered due to back pain. Any suggestions?

Standing up reduces lower back pain to a more manageable upper back pain. Standing also increases overall visibility, which reduces neck strain. Other hint would be to work faster so that you're not in such bad posture for long periods of time (i.e having bad posture for 3-5 mins is a lot better than having good unnatural posture for an hour). If I have to gain access or visibility in terrible posture, you bet your @ss that I'll bend my neck for a minute or two and execute the procedure like a ninja.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Buy a back brace off Amazon. I was going to physical therapy for 5 weeks after D1, cost me like $800, and did nothing to stop the pain.

Reactions: 1 users
Specialize in Orthodontics

Reactions: 5 users
Retire

Reactions: 3 users
Continue being active. Dentistry needs an active well maintained body to last long in the field.

Reactions: 1 user