Back to the Basic 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For any of my fellow hard-working docs out there who tend more toward the middle of the bell curve and are curious, I passed with forty-nine keywords. Not as good as I'd hoped (felt pretty good leaving the test) but it's a pass and another step toward independent practice. Will keep studying and learning new things in this crazy, fascinating medical specialty. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is Brian Hall Anesthesia review book, a good resource for the Basic? I feel like I need another resource beside true learn

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't get a letter but apparently my program director received emails of everyone who received got 10% in the class and she said she got one for me too

Reactions: 1 user
i didn't get a letter but apparently my program director received emails of everyone who received got 10% in the class and she said she got one for me too

Niiice! I saw u had 30 key words.. i had 34. I hope that was enough to make the cut

30 keywords is too 10%, 70 keywords is fail. Margins are super thin..... 40 questions separate 80% of people??

32 keywords but no letter or word from my PD about top 10%...:lame:

30 keywords is too 10%, 70 keywords is fail. Margins are super thin..... 40 questions separate 80% of people??

70 keywords in a 200 question exam means you only got 65% overall. In most areas of life that isn't considered passing.

Either way, it's not unreasonable to make that as the cutoff if 90% (or more) of examinees achieved that mark. You have to set the cut-off at some point. When you're at that level the knowledge base probably needs improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any thoughts about this year's (2018) exam?

First section for me was very tough. Lots of guessing. Second section much more reasonable. I took it Friday and my classmates who took it Saturday feel the opposite. Left more worried about missing a lot of obvious questions plus the stuff out of left field too.

Last edited:
Test was a waste of time and now I don't know what to do with myself when I get home. Sometimes I search openanesthesia out of habit.

Test was a waste of time and now I don't know what to do with myself when I get home. Sometimes I search openanesthesia out of habit.

what, you are a CA1??

First section for me was very tough. Lots of guessing. Second section much more reasonable. I took it Friday and my classmates who took it Saturday feel the opposite. Left more worried about missing a lot of obvious questions plus the stuff out of left field too.

My ITE was 63rd percentile. I’m a little nervous because I just could not get motivated to study for this. Made it through maybe 80% of TrueLearn. Really hoping I didn’t fail but would not be surprised if I did. I missed more than a few gimmes, especially in that first section.

I dont think anyone is motivated to study for this test esp since it's only 4 months after ITE.

My ITE was 63rd percentile. I’m a little nervous because I just could not get motivated to study for this. Made it through maybe 80% of TrueLearn. Really hoping I didn’t fail but would not be surprised if I did. I missed more than a few gimmes, especially in that first section.

What do you mean by "feel the opposite"? I had it on Saturday too

What do you mean by "feel the opposite"? I had it on Saturday too

They thought the first section was okay but the second section was tough.

what's this about top 10% letters?? how come i never heard of this before. and i was always high 90%tile on my ITE's and 99%tile on my written boards.

The basic exam sends you a letter if you are in the top 10th percentile. This is the only test where this is done as far as I know.

Anyone have any thoughts about this year's (2018) exam?
I felt like it was pretty tough. More anatomy and neuroanatomy than I would have liked. Took exam on Friday. I’m guessing I missed between 50-60 questions. 72 percentile on ITE but feeling pretty nervous on this one. Did not walk out as comfortable as I would have liked too.

I think I heard this year they were doing away with the secret letters.

I didn't take a break to minimize the amount of time spent in the ****ty testing center

What's the difference between this, ites and the akt24?
Thank you

What's the difference between this, ites and the akt24?
Thank you

Basic exam is part of board exam. you need to pass it to pass your boards

ITE is a yearly exam. Many residencies have this exam. For anesthesiology, ITE actually matters for fellowship.
AKT is anesthesia knowledge test, similar to the ITE, also tests knowledge. People dont really care about the AKT.

Yes Anesthesiology residency has way too many exams

Reactions: 1 user
So many exams. And I feel like the OSCE now just adds insult to injury.

Reactions: 1 users
Basic exam is part of board exam. you need to pass it to pass your boards

ITE is a yearly exam. Many residencies have this exam. For anesthesiology, ITE actually matters for fellowship.
AKT is anesthesia knowledge test, similar to the ITE, also tests knowledge. People dont really care about the AKT.

Yes Anesthesiology residency has way too many exams

With the advent of the Basic exam, many programs (including mine) dumped the AKT. It was an obnoxious sequence - something like AKT-1, 3, 6, 12, 18 month tests. Some still use it, including many programs in Canada. Thankfully the scores don’t matter.

Akt 1,6,24 still used in Canada but no basic exam.
If you get under a certain score you have to retake akt6, and under a certain score on akt24 they might advise you to not take the final exam that year. So it kind of counts